cut and buff

Garrett Powered

I painted this car a couple years ago and never cut and buffed it. I used 1200 followed by 2000 grit special hook and loop pads for my 5" DA air sander.

a couple before:

dsvsd.jpg

ghh.jpg

as you can see it had bad orange peel. and there is a couple runs in the paint, but for my first paint job it was not all that bad.

after sanding ( I did a section at a time) :

dsvv.jpgsgdas.jpg

after 3M polish. I used an entire 32 oz bottle of the stuff:

014-2.jpgouihdf.jpg

thf.jpg

and I smeared some wax on the parts I buffed, but the whole top of the car needs a buff. then wax it all again.

the top is the only part I had cut and buffed up to this point, but it was not as bad as the rest of the car, and I did that years ago. I got about 12 to 20 hours into this last week or so. but the weather has been perfect. I need to get this all done and the turbo badges back on this car before the rain hits. I put it off way too long.:P

ghfggffgd.jpgfdgsd.jpg

I want to show off these roof rails I built:

hjkikuy.jpgnyyt.jpg

I got a lot of time into these but they came out nice. I used 1/4" steel screen and filled it with fiberglass based filler. then a top coat of rage. actually they were not too hard to build. they are even harder to find which is why I built them instead.

i've never quite understood why GM made the panels to require those little filler panels to not look horrible.

but yeah, significant improvement as expected.

also: i want that lift BAD!

Thanks guys! I just came in from buffing the hood and waxing it. touching up some little parts and waxing a second layer where the badges go.

I am going to try to get the badges on tonight but I need to peel off the old tape from the back and redo it which takes a while to trim the turbo lettering out with a razor knife.

I just have to get those on tonight and buff and wax the roof and trunk lid tomorrow. and maybe a little work on the nose of the car. it almost feels like its never ending :lol:

Very nice job. I've been working on my daughters with sandpaper one panel at a time too. The sides of her's now look better than new, but the top flat surfaces have been in the sun unprotected far too long to bring back, sucks, but it is what it is on an 18 year old car. Doing mine by hand though, not with the DA.

One recommendation: if it's not too late, remove the wax where you're going to place the emblems back on. The tape on the rear of the emblems will not adhere as well to the wax as it will to bare paint.

Again, great work.

Looks really great, did you do a thread when you painted it? I want to paint my other car next year, thinking about just do it myself....make it all one color (its currently three) Curisous as to how you went about it since it was your first one.

Looks really great, did you do a thread when you painted it? I want to paint my other car next year, thinking about just do it myself....make it all one color (its currently three) Curisous as to how you went about it since it was your first one.

http://www.w-body.com/showthread.php/38186-paint-turbo-starter-and-a-few-more-things

I almost forgot, I did have a update thread on my projects a few years ago. and I tried to explain what all I had to buy to get the job done. it cost me way less than I thought it would.

again, thanks for all the complements guys! I tried to get some more shots of the car but I wasn't happy with them. I want to borrow my brother's, or Mom's camera and get some good ones. half of the ones I took with my little Nikon were slightly blurry in this last batch. maybe I will post a few of the better ones. I made a couple videos during the process I might post later as well, just have been too busy at work to get it done lately.

I got the emblems back on the car and it looks really good, just needs a tiny bit more cutting and buffing on the door handle area.