Fuse for air conditioner??????

jackhartjr

Hi folks, is there a fuse for the air conditioner? I have not looked, however wanted to see if anyone knew.

Went to add freon and then noticed the a/c clutch was not on.

Thanks in advance.

Jack

PS...1993 vert.

my system was down to ~10PSI(PCM will cut it off around 40PSI or lower), i pumped in as much as i could with the engine off(just until i couldn't hear it coming out of the can), then started it and turned the A/C to max, compressor kicked on, after some more filling the cooling fan kicked on and off until i had a decent charge in it and it stayed on until i shut the a/c off via inside the car.

i guess, long story short, you SHOULD be able to feed enough refrigerant into the system without forcing the compressor on for it to come on by itself.

Robert, I tried what you said and got one can in, and it is starting to feel cooler. I have one more can, I will try to put in in tomorrow.

Thanks again for the information!

Jack

if you were down to the point of having the pressure be below what the PCM will allow for compressor engagement, i can guarantee you need all of the second can, if not more.

do you happen to know why you had low pressure? it doesn't just leak out on it's own.

I've had the car for about 8 years, I am not sure that it was ever cold and I have not driven it for about three years due to the condition of the top. I am wanting to drive it now, the air would be nice.

I have to tell you Robert, it was a sweet sound when the compressor kicked in!

Jack

Which begs the question, can I put too much in? I seem to recall with the R-12 system, it would go to full and not accept more from the cans. Is that correct?

Thanks

Jack

you CAN overfill the system, and trust me, you don't want to do that, you'll start blowing out seals. i think i killed my compressor case-half o-ring that way.

when you do start overfilling, your system will actually become less efficient as well(the evaporator will get warmer).

Thanks Robert, I appreciate the reply. With the one can it went from nothing to where you can just feel some cool. I think I will try to put the last can I have in and see how it cools. May be enough, if not will go for one more can.

Jack

Edited by jackhartjr
Add more info.

i'm not sure if i would try a full 3rd can. are you pumping in R12? if you converted to R134a, then you should put in roughly 10% less than the original charge of R12 according to some of the retrofit manufacturers. since it originally used 2.25 pounds of R12, that's basically 2 pounds of R134a. the cans i buy are 12 oz, so you're roughly at 24 of 32 ounces needed, so half a can, if you could somehow measure that, would be perfect since it sounds like your system was at or near empty when you started.

Not retrofitted to R134. I put the one 12 oz can in, will put the other in. That may well be enough. Good to know it was 2.25 lbs of R12.

Thanks again!

Jack