A/C Problem

1994RedVert

Has anyone replaced their compressor and dryer to get their A/C cold again? And did you replace all of your seals? Where did you get the parts if you did? Autozone?

Are you looking for a freon leak? Or do you know where it is leaking from? Most times it is the compressor leaking and replacing it is the repair. A dryer is recommended but not mandatory. I've replaced several leaking compressors-no dryers-without incident. If you need to find the leak, freon with dye added is a good start.

I just purchased a compressor, accumulator, orifice tube, and a complete O-ring kit, all for about $240 at the Zone'. I plan to flush all the lines, condensor, evaporator and re-ring as many connections as I can get to. Wish me luck,lol.

Thank you guys. I am going to try and get a complete kit at the Zone like BrianK82. I have tried the stop leak stuff and three cans later it is still hot. I know I have a leak somewhere. I also think my compressor is bad because it is not kicking in anymore. Also, how hard is it to replace the compressor? Is it pretty easy?

Thank you guys. I am going to try and get a complete kit at the Zone like BrianK82. I have tried the stop leak stuff and three cans later it is still hot. I know I have a leak somewhere. I also think my compressor is bad because it is not kicking in anymore. Also, how hard is it to replace the compressor? Is it pretty easy?
the compressor still could be good, when the refrigerant gets too low the compressor wont turn on

It could be leaking out of the compressor. You should be able to pick one up and your local pick and pull for around 30 bucks. They are not that hard to change but you need to get a new o ring kit.

the compressor still could be good, when the refrigerant gets too low the compressor wont turn on

Yeah, but it should when I put a new can of refrigerant into the system.

It could be leaking out of the compressor. You should be able to pick one up and your local pick and pull for around 30 bucks. They are not that hard to change but you need to get a new o ring kit.

I would rather buy a new one, I know it will be more but any part that is a wear a tear item I would just rather buy new because I know it works and they usually get a warranty with them. Where could I go to get my system vacuumed before I change it? And if I had it vacuumed out could I re-fill it with the stuff from Autozone? Or should I have it professionally refilled?

Whenever the system is opened up, it MUST be vacuumed out. All air has moisture in it. With air in the system, the pressure will cause the water suspended in the air to condense, and turn into a liquid. Picture the water drain on a shop air compressor. The water will mix with refrigerant and oil to form a acid that will destroy the system from the inside out. Take it to a shop and have it vacuumed, or buy gauges and a vacuum pump and do it yourself. You can buy cheap gauges and a vacuum pump on Ebay for about $100. You need to pull 26" of vacuum for at least 30 minutes. If you cannot pull 26", then you have another leak in the system somewhere. Also, when you get the compressor, get the accumulator, but do not open or install the accumulator until the very last minute, as there is a desiccant bag contained in the bottom of the accumulator that absorbs moisture out of the system. Left open to the atmosphere, the desiccant bag will become saturated and rendered useless. Re o-ring all connections, and inspect all lines and components for other possible leak sources. Put new PAG 150 oil in the compressor and accumulator before installing these components. Approx 4 oz. in the compressor, and 3 oz. in the accumulator. You can refill the refrigerant either yourself, or have a shop do it. Usually if they vacuum it, they'll give you a good deal on a recharge. The system holds 2lb of refrigerant, that's 32 oz., or approx. 2 and a half cans of refrigerant. Here it is about $15 a can, so three cans will run your $45. Shops here charge $79.95 to vacuum and fill. Hope all this helps.

Dude, you are the man and know a ton about this. I am going to call a shop and ask how much if they vacuum my system so I can change it they will charge to refill it. I appreciate all the help.