2001 Grand Prix GT Rack and Pinion Replacement Cost

cougarcat454

What should I expect to pay parts, labor and the alignment to have this done? Been quoted $700.00 including the alignment and maybe a bit less if my tie rod ends are ok. Just don't want to take the time to try and tackle this one and wondered if any one has paid to have one done or knows what going rate should be.

Thanks.

What should I expect to pay parts, labor and the alignment to have this done? Been quoted $700.00 including the alignment and maybe a bit less if my tie rod ends are ok. Just don't want to take the time to try and tackle this one and wondered if any one has paid to have one done or knows what going rate should be.

Thanks.

That seems like a decent price, but I haven't had the job done, so I'm not 100% sure.

We just did this on a 2000 Buick LeSabre and ended up paying close to $400 wih it taking 2 full days. If I ever have to do it again, I would gladly pay the extra $300 because it is a pain to get to and get out. That was without the front end alignment so I'm not sure what that cost him. That sounds like a very decent price to me.

We just did this on a 2000 Buick LeSabre and ended up paying close to $400 wih it taking 2 full days. If I ever have to do it again, I would gladly pay the extra $300 because it is a pain to get to and get out. That was without the front end alignment so I'm not sure what that cost him. That sounds like a very decent price to me.

Yea, went ahead and let them do it. They said 4hrs labor. The part was right at about $290.00. About the same as I saw it at advanced auto or oreilly. labor was $280.00 so $70/hr. Alignment $60.00 and I did need the tie rod ends. I agree, something that took them 4hrs and they know what they are doing. Would have took me at least a day or more. Dropped it off at 7:00 am, they called at 11:30 and said it was ready to go. Saved myself $300.00 of frustration etc.. by letting some one else handle it and I know it is done right, and if there is a problem I can take it right back.

Good for you. Part of the couple of days we had was waiting for the part but the rest was the environment we had to work with. It was in an apartment parking lot with 2 jacks and no air tools. I still wouldn't do it again on a rack with all the comforts of my garage. Same thing with the alternator on my Cutlass. Some things are better left for others.

If you can afford it, so much easier to have someone mess with PITA stuff and get it done in a few hours.

I was trying like hell for 2 days to separate an axle and hub that had rusted together. Took it to a shop, only 2 hours and $110 later, it was done.