'98 L36 Valve Cover Gasket Replacement

3pt1lumina

My dad's 1998 Monte Z34 with the 3800, I need to replace the valve cover gaskets on it. It looks like a straightforward job, just wondering if there is any tips or tricks you guys have for doing these, especially the rear one. Going to try it out tomorrow night after work. Thanks!

Make sure you guys got the upper and lower Coolant elbows too. Considering the old ones will most likely will crack apart when taking the Alt. bracket off. Wish I could stop by and give ya a hand with it, but I'll already be out on the road for the week.

Edited by 9lumina6

You won't need the coolant elbows. If you remove the alty/ tensioner bracket, you are doing extra, unnecessary work. 98-99 Monte's with the L36 will have the alty/ tensioner setup that you'll find in all the 98-earlier L36's. Old style have bolts horizontally, plus a rear support bar. 99+ (on all BUT the 1.5 gen Monte's/ Lumina's) will have the vertical bolts for the alty. IIRC, there is only one serviceable coolant elbow on the <98 setup, and that's the infamous LIM one.

I learned a trick. Take some clear synthetic lubricant like for brakes or something and use it on the head. Also if the elbows havent been done I'd do them before they go. And its also good to use a lubricant on them as well to make them easier to go in.

I use a product from Napa called Syl-glyde. Great stuff. I use it on everything.

Update to anyone trying it (who hasn't done it) it wasn't too bad. Like what was stated above for the rear, took two bolts off of the alternator, swung it forward and removed the bracket that ran along the intake as well. For the front had to unbolt the one dog bone mount from the ICM bracket, and unbolt the ICM bracket from the engine in order to lift the front one up. I ran out of time last night to finish but both are installed front is completely back together. I just need to put the alternator/bracket back just make sure everything I unplugged is back together.