Need advice finding an AWD Turbo Car

TGPilot

So then the early model TSi's are not a reliable 200 mile per day car? I have been told by the All-Trac guys that if the drivetrain is current (recently gone through) or less than 200,000 miles old it would be a good car for what I need. There are some common problem issues with the All-Tracs, but for less than $1000 they can be gone through and freshened up like new. I guess I will lean more towards the All-Trac even though I am not crazy about the body style... 8)

Thanks so much for all your input guys!!! :cheers:

All-Tracs are great, and have killer Toyota style reliability. Basically, the engine is near bulletproof. But they are RARE and usually expensive when you do find them. I would grab one, but the hunt will be long.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Aaron

• TGPilot

• boostnawd

• 91cutty

DSM (Diamond Star Motors) I would look at a 91-92 Galant VR4. Same motor as the Laser/Talon/Eclipse, with AWD plus you get alot more creature comforts and AWS. A true 5 spd. 4dr. sleeper.

I would also look at the late 80s or early 90s Mazda 323 GTX. A cool little 2 dr. hatchback with a 1.8 or 1.6 turbo 4 and AWD. You can buy them pretty cheap and they're reliable if serviced and light and quick.

Just a little more food for thought.

Rick

a cyclone/typhoon were GMC vehicles modeled directly off of the Sonoma(S10) and blazer. they used an AWD platform, came standard with leather, ABS, etc. they also featured the 4.3L pushrod V6(based off the 5.7L V8) with a Turbo/intercooler setup raising power to a RATED 285hp and 320ft/lb. this gave them a stock 1/4mi of 14.1. however the hp/tq numbers were low, and the 1/4mi was high. there was a big article/video about a typhoon, all stock, pulled a 13.42 and made 342hp and 360 ft/lb.

a cyclone/typhoon were GMC vehicles modeled directly off of the Sonoma(S10) and blazer. they used an AWD platform, came standard with leather, ABS, etc. they also featured the 4.3L pushrod V6(based off the 5.7L V8) with a Turbo/intercooler setup raising power to a RATED 285hp and 320ft/lb. this gave them a stock 1/4mi of 14.1. however the hp/tq numbers were low, and the 1/4mi was high. there was a big article/video about a typhoon, all stock, pulled a 13.42 and made 342hp and 360 ft/lb.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I want.

Last car show I went to in a town near here, there was a white Typhoon built up to 700 hp. It belonged to a middle aged gentleman. There was a pretty big dude standing next to the immaculate truck. I asked if it was his, and in a southern accent, he said "nah, I'm just keeping it out of trouble for him". He nodded in the direction of the gentleman. He was pretty cool. Let us sit inside (I wouldn't have :shock: ), talked for a good hour almost. Said it's in the elevens and was hoping to break 10s at the next racing event. I don't think he was full of it either, because he owned some after market performance shop and was suppose to be legendary in the racing circuit. Don't follow that stuff so I had no clue who he was.

After an hour of me drooling over his truck, he asked if I ever heard of 75th street which I gave him directions to. They were looking to race for money. Guess who I was betting on? :P

You want even crazier then a Cyclone/Typhoon? How about the Marlboro edition Cyclone? An entire 14 or so built and only given away as a sweepstakes prize. They only came in red and had some upgrades in performance straight out of the factory. There is supposedly one very near me somewhere. A buddy of mine said he got to sit in it. Had some rediculously low mileage on it. All but one of these trucks is accounted for as far as ownership goes.

I think we may need to break out the defibrillator pads for Bolt_Crank!!

Guest TurboSedan

Joshua,

Let me know what if all it needs and the price. I have made the decision that it will either be a TSi or an All-Trac. If the TSi has issues I don't care as long as I know up front... 8)

i'm going to talk to him about it tonight. i replaced the alternator (a used one from the j/y) for him a few months ago. iTurbo installed a good stock turbocharger (a Mitsu TD05H i think) from ebay in 2000 sometime so i'm assuming the turbo is good (fwiw the car has barely been driven since then). last i heard he replaced the axles, but it needed wheel bearings and brakes. he seemed to think the coil pack(s) were bad too....i'm not sure yet. the body is fine and i don't think it has any rust. it ran pretty good last time i was in it but i forgot what the stock boost gauge was getting up to. it is a white '91 Talon TSi with tan interior, and stock white directional wheels. i'm assumuing all 1st GEN DSM Talon/Eclipses had the 2.0L (the 4G63 Intercooled Turbo engine?....all with 5-speeds....his is anyway). it has about 105,xxx miles on the clock.

i also spotted a red '90 AWD/Talon TSi in Laramie this morning (maybe an Eclipse i forgot) and it had 118,xxx miles, fair gray interior, sunroof, faded paint etc.....i never asked to hear it run or anything cuz the for sale sign said $4000 obo..........YEAH RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!! i'll take a '90 TGP/5-speed for $4000 :lol: j/k......sounds like you might need that AWD and Turbo considering the Colorado altitude & winter roads......

i'll get back to you about my friend's Talon TSi tonight or tomarrow. it is paid for and the title is clear, and he doesn't drive it (it just sits). i have no idea if he wants to sell it, fix it 1st then sell it, or what....

joshua

• 2 weeks later...
Guest TurboSedan

he wants $2000 for it. he *might* go as low as $1800 but he said he'd rather keep the car if he can't get that. i really don't know if it's worth that or not :?: it actually has 113,xxx miles, he said it needs coil packs (2?), it needs a new radiator or a flush because it overheats he says. he said there is no coolant in the oil or vice versa and it has never overheated, but will get hot so he doesn't drive it. it might actually be a stuck thermostat, a bad fan, i really don't know. he probably doesn't either (the owner) cuz he's not much of a car guy. the axles didn't actually get replaced like i said before; they were fine. it was just the wheel bearings that needed to be replaced. it has new tires - i think they are Goodyear's and with less than 1000 miles on them. it needs brakes - probably new rotors & pads all around (last time i rode in the car the brakes were downright scary but the car ran good). the timing belt was replaced recently and probably has less than 2000 miles on that. the body & paint are great, except for one small dent near the rear wheel well. i'm not sure about the interior but it should look good after a good cleaning. no stereo. i asked him what the boost gauge got up to and he wasn't sure. the car is white w/white directional wheels, and tan interior. if you are still interested, email him at: warped45@yahoo.com and tell him josh told you about the car....or i can get more info & pics if needed too...

btw, he paid $3500 for in '00 i think, but the car hasn't been driven much since he has owned it. i'm not sure how many miles he has put on it but he isn't the type to 'hotrod' cars fwiw.

later

joshua

Hey Joshua,

Thanks man for the info. Sounds like a bit much for what it needs. I actually found a one owner '93 Mitsubishi GSX AWD Turbo in southeast Colorado for $3250. Has 75,000 with new tires and alignment, new brakes, new wheel bearings, MINT leather interior, excellent original red exterior. Completely stock. The guy who owns it is 66 years old and had intentions of giving it to his Grandson for his HS graduation, but he was arrested for breaking into a rival school and trashing a bunch of shit inside. Had to listen to the guy for an hour talking about his grandson, but talked him down to $2800 for the car. Should be picking it up next month...as long as it is still there.

Thanks though man!! 8)

Guest TurboSedan
Hey Joshua,

Thanks man for the info. Sounds like a bit much for what it needs. I actually found a one owner '93 Mitsubishi GSX AWD Turbo in southeast Colorado for $3250. Has 75,000 with new tires and alignment, new brakes, new wheel bearings, MINT leather interior, excellent original red exterior. Completely stock. The guy who owns it is 66 years old and had intentions of giving it to his Grandson for his HS graduation, but he was arrested for breaking into a rival school and trashing a bunch of shit inside. Had to listen to the guy for an hour talking about his grandson, but talked him down to $2800 for the car. Should be picking it up next month...as long as it is still there.

Thanks though man!! 8)

right on :) good luck with it - sounds like a good deal

joshua

I was looking at a 1992 Subaru Legacy AWD Turbo for a winter car not too long ago myself.

I really liked it, nice leather interior, handled really well, and it had a pretty loud turbo considering it was all stock. They run something like 8.7 psi stock, not too bad.

Anyways the idea of getting that car is pretty much gone for me now, since I came across a Z34 for cheap with one key quality I liked about it. But you guys will hear about that later.

Hey thanks Joey! It will be real nice for my wallet too! :wink: I will actually be making $10k more a year than the job I had during my TGP days, so once the past due bills are caught up (about 1 month) I will be looking for a true GO-Fast toy! :D

Don't think I will be going the TGP route again...may go the Typhoon route, but really enjoy AWD cars. Saturday night street races just wouldn't be fun in a Typhoon as there is zero competition in Colorado Springs for one (except Aaron of course :roll: :lol: ). 1988-89 All-Trac with $1000 in mods will put 300 HP to the ground so there is true potential there. The GSX I was speaking of is gone, so I think it is in the cards for an All-Trac... 8)

Although a 1989 Turbo Trans Am would be one hell of a fun car (obviously not as a winter car)!! :worship: