Need advice finding an AWD Turbo Car

TGPilot

Hey guys,

Well the great news is I just got hired on with GE Medical here in Colorado!! :cheers: Awesome salary and unbelievable benefits! I have thanked GOD so many times now I think he has put me on call blocking!!! :lol:

Anyway...I am looking for an AWD Turbo car at an affordable price for now. My main purpose for this car is a winter driver as I have 100 miles to go one way to get to my new job. I know...I know, but my lease will not be up until May of 2004.

Again...back to the main subject. I would like to find a car that would average 30 MPH on the highway and any input would be appreciated! 8)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Aaron

• TGPilot

• boostnawd

• 91cutty

Had one just before I bought the TGP from Waskie and hated it. I am 6'2" and felt like I was in a sardine can. For $22,780 I was very disappointed in the performance also... 8)

Plus I am looking for a winter driver (not as bad as a beater)... 8)

What about a stealth AWD I think they are twin turbo though........there are egale talons that are AWD turbo.........Or you could find a AWD tempo and a 2.3 turbo from a stang in it :lol:

3000GT, TWIN turbo V6, AWD, good mileage.

i raced a WRX b4, and they wasted me off the line, btu i catch up, they have high end, but i could take one barely. so up here, im sure your TGP didnt have any problems handling a WRX.

the last couple days i been wondering this my self because i been thinkin bout builing a rally car n i been leanin towards the subaru wrx but what is better i plan on ralling in snow dirt pavemnt w/e all round rallying

I'd advise against the 3000gt/stealth. They are heavy (3600lbs+), not the most reliable things, high repair costs, expensive aftermarket, yada yada.

Honestly, I think a WRX or the new Mitsu EVO are your best bets.. the evo is in the 13s out of the box, I don't think a 3000gt is. Either way, you're not going to see 30mpg from any AWD/Turbo platform.

Either way, you're not going to see 30mpg from any AWD/Turbo platform.

Anything that would run close to 30 MPH? I figure it is going to be approximately $1200 in gas for the 6 months I need to make this commute. My main concern is the winters here in Colorado can get extremely rough on short notice and would like the sense of securtiy of AWD. I suppose it really doesn't have to be an AWD car...maybe a 4WD blazer (smaller version) or Jeep? 8)

What do you see as an average on the highway with your '92 TSi?

Anything that would run close to 30 MPH? I figure it is going to be approximately $1200 in gas for the 6 months I need to make this commute. My main concern is the winters here in Colorado can get extremely rough on short notice and would like the sense of securtiy of AWD. I suppose it really doesn't have to be an AWD car...maybe a 4WD blazer (smaller version) or Jeep? 8)

Well I get about 25mpg on the hwy out of my DSM (not sure I would recommend one as a daily driver btw, I've found having a 2nd car will save your butt, but they can be bought for cheap) and the WRX and EVO are comparable.

Living in Colorado, I'd think ground clearance is an issue too.. maybe get an older Cherokee/other Jeep. Won't satisfy your rally cravings, but you won't get stuck.

wow i'm a little surprised u guys are mentioning imports, i thought you guys hated imports? anways its good to see you guys are open minded and aren't just all domestics.

thats cuz domestics dont make turbo AWDs, and thats what he wants :roll:

wow i'm a little surprised u guys are mentioning imports, i thought you guys hated imports? anways its good to see you guys are open minded and aren't just all domestics.

I'll vouch for an S4 Variant. Turbocharged manual and AWD power!

I need to import a 4Motion Bora or snag an R32 by the end of next summer! :shock:

- Erik

i would too

it's sad that you will never understand how well-built some imports are. I've owned my tercel for almost half a year now. I have put 0 dollars into the car for repairs. The first week i owned the cutty i had already put in 200 for a new alternator. then my subframe fell out. then all my seals and gaskets started to go. the list goes on and on and on and on and ON!!!!!! in total my car has cost me $3500 more than what i paid for it just to keep it running and in good shape. Both cars have around the same mileage: the terc 193k km's, the cutty 210k km's.

Don't get me wrong, I still LOVE the cutty because of its good looks and comfort and handling... but if i were asked to rate this car on reliability, you would be lucky if i gave it a 1 out of 5. As for the terc, like i said 0 problems.... yet.

it's sad that you will never understand how well-built some imports are.

Yeah, it's amazing how well built my dad's 92 Infiniti Q45 is. He's had it since new. It's not a particularily attractive looking car, but man, it's built rock-solid and everything about it says quality. Nothing shakes, rattles, or vibrates on that car. All gaps inside and out are minimized and uniform. The leather is still in mint condition despite being nearly 12yrs old.

In contrast, ALL my W-bodies have interior pieces that vibrate and rattle, some trim pieces even squeak if you push in on them. Most gaps are uneven and some even gapingly large. My 99 Silverado is much newer, but it's clear to see GM didn't improve anything in the quality of materials and fit & finish departments, although my truck's reliability is unbeatable.

The only reason I stay with domestics is because I'm superficial - I prefer how they look... or at least I used to in the 90's. When it comes to 04's, well, I don't like how any 04 looks except the GTO.

I'll vouch for an S4 Variant. Turbocharged manual and AWD power!

I need to import a 4Motion Bora or snag an R32 by the end of next summer! :shock:

- Erik

I wouldn't mind myself an R32.... hell, I'd even take an R33 or an R34! :lol:

as for rallying... that's what Z34's are for! :lol: