Need advice finding an AWD Turbo Car

TGPilot

Guest TurboSedan
I'm a closed-minded asshole.

But I think like a Talon TSi is about your only cheap AWD Turbo car.

TGPiliot, a good friend of mine has a white '91 Talon TSi. i think it has just over 100,000 miles. it needs some things but i'll check on condition & price if you want. he bought a '94 Shadow and drives that car now.

btw, my Cutlass Supreme has had almost zero problems except a bad alternator once (fixed in 10 minutes). i swapped the trans but it was still good at the time (i simply HAD to have a 5-speed), and at the same time i did alot of gaskets that were just barely leaking. i did the '94+ rear brake upgrade even though my original rear brakes were fine. i bought it a little over 100,000 miles ago (almost 4 years ago) and have delvered pizza in it non-stop since i've owned it; and have gone on LOTS of interstate/highway road trips. for a car with 213,xxx miles, it's served me well!! this is not to say i'm against foreign cars at all btw.

joshua

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Aaron

• TGPilot

• boostnawd

• 91cutty

as do i. i talk to it in this nice voice acting like i love it just so somehting doesnt break, then it stalls at every light from then on.

*resumes previous act of kicking tires*

TGPiliot, a good friend of mine has a white '91 Talon TSi. i think it has just over 100,000 miles. it needs some things but i'll check on condition & price if you want. he bought a '94 Shadow and drives that car now.

Joshua,

Let me know what if all it needs and the price. I have made the decision that it will either be a TSi or an All-Trac. If the TSi has issues I don't care as long as I know up front... 8)

I like your decision. :D ;)

Just keep in mind that they are over 10 years old, and to boot, have usually been owned by people like me who aren't gentle on their cars. Do a compression test and check to make sure the transfer case recall has been done. It's a safety recall, so no matter what the dealer says you can get it redone over and over again.. if left unchecked the wheels can lock up on you. Some other spots to check include the tranny - the 2nd gear syncro takes a lot of pounding so make sure there's no grinds after a good drive.

The DSM community is very large on the web. Here are some links that will help you out to start.

1000 answered Questions

http://www.dsm.org

happy boosting.

. Either way, you're not going to see 30mpg from any AWD/Turbo platform.

That's funny. My TSI got 35 on average highway driving.

and I bet yours was FWD.

Nope. It was my 91 AWD. My Laser FWD gets about the same, though. Well, it did before I started modding it.

and one more very important thing. The timing belt, get receipts as to when it was done last or be prepared to do it. They should be done every 60k miles and both the balance shaft belt (if it's still in there, I pulled my B-shaft out) and timing belt + tensioner should be replaced.

Should the belt break, these engines are an interference design, meaning the valves will make sweet love with your pistons, resulting in a very expensive repair bill (at least a new head, maybe more).

DO NOT GET A DSM turbo!!! actually you can do whatever you want... but from my experience those cars make a lot of power but are terribly unreliable. I used to work at a dodge dealership and EVERY SINGLE MECHANIC that worked there hated the cars cause of their terrible quality, difficulty to work on and insane cost for parts! I also know three people who own/owned the cars and all three of them wished they had never bought them! These might actually be good cars, but my past experiences with them seems to negate that.

Good choice on the all-trac btw... Toyota rules! (not as much as GM though!)

i would seriously look into a Sy/Ty, TONS of power, rare, handle well, AWD, TURBO, and you can find one with under 80k miles for around 20k$

codeword for mad expensive parts :lol:

DO NOT GET A DSM turbo!!!

Good choice on the all-trac btw... Toyota rules! (not as much as GM though!)

What designates a DSM? I know nothing about the TSi's, but like the body design more than the All-Tracs. I have heard that the All-Tracs have had their issues also...but what car doesn't? :wink: I have been waiting for the right 87-88 All-Trac to come my way as these are supposedly built the right way of them all... 8)

Aaron...If I was going to spend $20,000 on a winter driver I would go buy a 2002 Volvo XC. Anyone who would drive a low mileage Sy/Ty in the snow should be shot!

What designates a DSM? I know nothing about the TSi's, but like the body design more than the All-Tracs. I have heard that the All-Tracs have had their issues also...but what car doesn't? :wink: I have been waiting for the right 87-88 All-Trac to come my way as these are supposedly built the right way of them all... 8)

A DSM is a 90-99 Eagle Talon/Plymouth Laser/Mitsubishi Eclipse and a 90-94 Mitsubishi Galant. Basically anything with the 4g63 motor in it. Some of the later non-turbo Talons/Eclipses (98+ I think) came with the neon 420a motor, these are not considered a true DSM.

DSM=Diamond Star Motors.

So then the early model TSi's are not a reliable 200 mile per day car? I have been told by the All-Trac guys that if the drivetrain is current (recently gone through) or less than 200,000 miles old it would be a good car for what I need. There are some common problem issues with the All-Tracs, but for less than $1000 they can be gone through and freshened up like new. I guess I will lean more towards the All-Trac even though I am not crazy about the body style... 8)

Thanks so much for all your input guys!!! :cheers:

Anyone who would drive a low mileage Sy/Ty in the snow should be shot!

My thoughts exactly...

hmmmm.... and what exactly would these vehicles be? o.o

never seen 'em before... and only heard of 'em on this board...

A DSM is a 90-99 Eagle Talon/Plymouth Laser/Mitsubishi Eclipse and a 90-94 Mitsubishi Galant. Basically anything with the 4g63 motor in it. Some of the later non-turbo Talons/Eclipses (98+ I think) came with the neon 420a motor, these are not considered a true DSM.

DSM=Diamond Star Motors.

The DSM designation stands for the co-op between DC and Mitsu that the cars were developed under. The Stealth/3kGT is actually also a DSM. The 4g63 Engine had nothing to do with it, as even the lowley 1.8 cars were DSM's. And in all reality, the last model Eclipse(99 I beleive) was not a DSM, was not manufactured under the DSM name, and was still available with the 4g63. Not to mention that the Evo is not a DSM and IS available witht that engine.