enclosure advice

white96supreme

I've got a 96 Cutlass Supreme sedan with 2 10" MTX thunder 6000's in a crappy prefab bandpass, the amp is a RF Punch 120a2 (old school, I know). Are these worth building an SQ enclosure for or would it be better to get a single 12" JL Audio sub? I have had a few JL's in the past in both of my old regular cab S10's and I am a big fan of them because they don't usually need too much power to sound good.

Not that JL Audio is bad, but there are many companies that will give you incredible SQ for much lower prices.

Your MTX Thunder 6000's are designed for bandpass or vented enclosures because they have an extremely weak motor, which generally aren't going to give you great SQ. You'll be better off selling them and buying a new sub. Let me know if you need more advice on that.

Examples are welcome, btw these were free to me from my uncle so I just ran with them.:)

Subs good for SQ use:

Image Dynamics IDQ drivers (keep a hawk's eye on ebay. They come up occasionally but get bought up fast.) Look for V2 drivers in particular, 10", 12", or 15".

SSA Dcon15: extremely low moving mass for a 15" sub. Works well in sealed boxes. Good SQ:

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/store/products/DCON%252d15-S4-%E2%80%93-Sound-Solutions-Audio-15%22-300W-Single-4%252dOhm-DCON-Series-Subwoofer.html

Alpine 8" Type-R: don't confuse this with the 10" and 12" Type-R subs; this is a whole different animal. Very high power to moving mass ratio, making this a very tight, accurate, and clean sounding sub that will hang with most 10" subs out there.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_34383_Alpine-SWR-843D.html?SearchClickout%5Bquery_id%5D=8327044&SearchClickout%5BIgnore%5D=1

Dayton HF: No-frills, all performance SQ sub designed for hi-fi home theater use. The HO versions work better in smaller boxes, but this will be a bit tighter and more accurate due to a lower moving mass. Don't underestimate the appearance; this sub will outperform SQ subs 2-3x its price.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=295-460

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=295-464

Peerless XLS: No-frills, all performance SQ sub designed for hi-fi home theater use. Anyone who knows the Peerless XLS lineup knows these hit hard and sound amazing. Very low moving mass for a sub of its class. Can't go wrong here.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=264-1116

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=264-1108

TC Sounds Epic: Excellent in small boxes, vented, sealed, or passive radiator. High power handling and some serious performance. Low moving mass. The 12" is out of stock till June.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=293-656

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=293-650

From the looks of the list, I would need a new amp with the exception of the Alpine since the RF I have doesn't enough rms power to keep those subs happy. I used to have an Alpine v12 amp before it burned up in my friends garage fire a few years ago, lost my JL 10w0, alpine type r 4x6's and an Eclipse headunit at the same time (basically everything from my old 03 S10 including the harness), so I did have some quality stuff at one point...lol. [h=1][/h]

From the looks of the list, I would need a new amp with the exception of the Alpine since the RF I have doesn't enough rms power to keep those subs happy. I used to have an Alpine v12 amp before it burned up in my friends garage fire a few years ago, lost my JL 10w0, alpine type r 4x6's and an Eclipse headunit at the same time (basically everything from my old 03 S10 including the harness), so I did have some quality stuff at one point...lol.

Well, any sub should have a quality amplifier. Let me know which of these looks good to you and I can recommend an amplifier as well.

just go with JL

Why is it always JL? All of the subs xtreme listed will be just as good in the right box... all things aside. The only difference is the label and the price.

Looks like the Alpine seems to be in the price range I would be willing to spend on a sub at this time. It would leave more space in the trunk but would one be enough? I should be able to run my RF until I'm able to talk my "boss" into letting me spend more $$ for a better amp. I just got done putting about a grand into maintenance items for it. Maybe I'll have to sell one of my r/c cars....:(

why JL? probably mostly for the prestige and bragging rights of owning the best knowing that even in a ported or bandpass you still manage to increase the value and appeal of your car.

I don't know the original post he asked about JL. I answered.:shrug:

why JL? probably mostly for the prestige and bragging rights of owning the best knowing that even in a ported or bandpass you still manage to increase the value and appeal of your car.

:roll: Here we go again...

Prestige? Bragging rights? That comes with any good brand. I would be proud to own Digital Designs equipment or Image Dynamics equipment. I'd be proud to own a Morel Ultimo, some Focal subs, some Mcintosh equipment, but JL? Great, but not anything special.

I'd be very proud to own an AE IB15. The distortion characteristics of that lambda motor make even underhung motors look bad. Underhung motors make overhung motors look bad. Guess what, the JL subs use overhung motors. Not that it's bad, but it's nothing special. I personally think the IDQ V2 drivers I have are the best sounding SQ-specific drivers I've ever heard and them being overhung makes no difference, but someone who cares about nothing but the numbers, they'd want at minimum an underhung motor, if not an XBL^2 design.

Again, JL's subs are excellent subs, but nothing special, and often overpriced. Certainly not the best.

Looks like the Alpine seems to be in the price range I would be willing to spend on a sub at this time. It would leave more space in the trunk but would one be enough? I should be able to run my RF until I'm able to talk my "boss" into letting me spend more $$ for a better amp. I just got done putting about a grand into maintenance items for it. Maybe I'll have to sell one of my r/c cars....:(

The 8" will impress you in a ported box. I'll design one for you if you want to go with that specific sub. If you feel it's not enough, you can add a second later and get a different amp. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by the kind of output you'd get out of it.

:roll: Here we go again...

Same thing I was thinking. It's extremely difficult to take someone seriously when remembering that they at one point profusely supported the "awesomeness" behind that Fs3 "technology."

hmmm it would appear that it is illegal to be a JL Audio fan from the way you guys roll your eyes every time I say I like them. I am also aware that there has been attempts at passing off breakthrough technologies as the devil. for example groups of people who are all afraid of the future trying to justify their own agenda. if you gotta be that way fine, but keep JL Audio's name out your mouth.

there is this thing called free speech and it is allowed here as far as I know. I know it may be difficult for you but deal with it.

by the way the world is round not flat. :lol:

First and foremost, thanks Xtreme for all of you help and input. Hopefully the ol lady will sign my permission slip so I can get it ordered soon. How big of an enclosure are we talking about?

hmmm it would appear that it is illegal to be a JL Audio fan from the way you guys roll your eyes every time I say I like them. I am also aware that there has been attempts at passing off breakthrough technologies as the devil. for example groups of people who are all afraid of the future trying to justify their own agenda. if you gotta be that way fine, but keep JL Audio's name out your mouth.

there is this thing called free speech and it is allowed here as far as I know. I know it may be difficult for you but deal with it.

by the way the world is round not flat. :lol:

It's not that I'm passing off breakthrough technology, but I'd compare you to door-knocking Jehovah's witnesses when it comes to JL Audio. Your enthusiasm and loyalty to them is almost religious as if we should be converted. It's not that I hate them, but there are other options and I acknowledge that. I personally run Image Dynamics subs, but I acknowlege that they don't meet everyone's budget and not all of their subs are great. They currently make an ID, and IDQ, and an IDMax. I wouldn't recommend the ID as it's a chinese made general purpose budget sub. Even with an ID label, it's not that special and there are better options out there.

What you fail to do is consider that there are other subs that suit someone's purpose that JL doesn't make for exmaple. Want ultimate SQ? The Morel Ultimo will be so far above anything JL audio has available that it's not even on the same scale. Want SPL? Digital Designs makes subs that dwarf JL's W7. Want something general purpose and cheap? SSA makes the Dcon series that JL Audio simply doesn't have any competition for. $138.99 for a 15" sub with extremely low xmax that works well in a decently small box? What exactly does JL have that can compete with that? Nothing. Want raw power and massive SPL for really cheap? Sundown Audio's SA-10 and SA-12 fill that void for $185 and $195 respectively and JL audio makes nothing that can compete with that.

I don't hate JL audio, I just recognize that they don't suit everyone's purposes, and I'd appreciate it if you did the same so we can stop arguing over this topic every single time someone asks for car audio advice.

My agenda is to recommend subs to people who are on a budget in order to provide them the best bang for the buck. Tell me real quick, what does JL Audio have in an 8" form factor for under $100 that will compete with the Alpine 8" Type-R for sound quality and power? The closest thing they have is the 8W3, but that's only a 150W power handling sub and costs $50 more than this Alpine. There is absolutely no reason to choose that JL sub over the Alpine sub for sheer value and performance. It's overpriced and underperformed compared to other available options. If it was $75, I would have thrown it into the mix in my original response, but it's not.

First and foremost, thanks Xtreme for all of you help and input. Hopefully the ol lady will sign my permission slip so I can get it ordered soon. How big of an enclosure are we talking about?

For the 8" Alpine? You're looking at as small as .3-.5 cubic feet sealed or .8-1.0 cubic feet ported. Depends on what you want out of it. If you just want a bit more sub-bass in the background for an SQ-type listening scenario at low or moderate volumes, the sealed box would do. If you want to get the most output from that sub while still sounding good, ported would be your best bet. Give a feel for what you're actually looking for as far as performance and quality and we'll go from there. This is a very versatile little sub. You'll enjoy it a lot.