Power Locks and Mirrors not working

PJB

Whta would cause my power lock and mirror switch not to work? The lock work with the ignition on and off (lock when in drive and unlock in park), but not any other time. They worked when I installed the new doors on the car a few weeks ago but then stopped working.

Maybe the lock switches are bad. That would be my guess since it only locks with the auto lock. My pass. window switch only lets the window go down but not up and I checked the connections, so I would say the switch is bad.

My drivers side door sometimes will not lock with the power locks but about a week ago I just hit the door panel and haven't had a problem since :lol: I would guess maybe a loose or bad connection 'cause when I had my topaz I put some 6.5 inch speakers in the doors and they would cut out once in awhile and then come back on and it was a bad connection......sorry I wasn't much help

Is there a different set of wires that controls the auto lock feature when you throw it in gear, or does that feature run off the same power locks wire? If it is a different wire, maybe the power locks one is crimped or has been severed/loose. My first '86 6000 STE did the same thing. The locks would work from the passenger side, but only time to time on the drivers side. I pulled the boot back covering up the wires going between thd door and door jam one day, and sure enough, there was a wire there nearly cut in half. I stripped the ends, electric taped them back together, and never had a problem afterwards. Just a thought.