Rear Brake question

TheDeacon

So I know that to get the piston back in to the rear calipers, they have to be threaded in with a special tool.

Question I have is, do both sides have to be turned to the right (clockwise) or do they alternate from each side (one side clockwise, the other counter)?

If they alternate, which side goes which way?

So I know that to get the piston back in to the rear calipers, they have to be threaded in with a special tool.

Question I have is, do both sides have to be turned to the right (clockwise) or do they alternate from each side (one side clockwise, the other counter)?

If they alternate, which side goes which way?

WHAT YEAR?

The first design caliper--to at least '93--it is MUCH easier to pull one nut and one washer on the back of the caliper, remove the park brake cable lever--and then squeeze the piston STRAIGHT IN.

The park brake shaft will spin instead of the piston. WAY EASIER.

Re-connect the park brake cable lever, install washer and nut just like they were before. Done.

This "may" work for the later caliper--I've never dicked with the newer ones.

WHAT YEAR?

The first design caliper--to at least '93--it is MUCH easier to pull one nut and one washer on the back of the caliper, remove the park brake cable lever--and then squeeze the piston STRAIGHT IN.

Re-connect the park brake cable lever, install washer and nut just like they were before. Done.

There is a chance you will cause a fluid leak by removing the lever and knock the park brake out of adjustment.

Push and turn can't be harder to do. Even if you don't have the "special tool". A pair on needle nose pliers works.

WHAT YEAR?

The vehicle in question is a 1995 Pontiac Grand Prix SE, 3.1

I would highly recommend one of those brake caliper tool sets that will rotate and push the caliper piston in at the same time. It's awesome. I got it for $10 from Harbor Freight when it was on sale. I couldn't find it on the website, but if you have a local store, it's worth looking for. Way better than that stupid cube (though I have one of those too).