94 Cutlass Air Bag Light

oldsfever

I had to change the turn signal and wiper switch on the Cutlass and during the process, the clock spring cable got messed up (total stupidity on my part). I went for a while without one but finally found a replacement and after installing it, the air bag light will not go off. I've gone back and forth with the shop manual with no success and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. Does the code need to be reset or is there something else I need to do?

Any help will be appreciated and thanks in advance.

Make sure you have continuity thru your wiring from under the dash to the airbag. Disconnect airbag first!!!!

If it twisted up the wiring pretty good from what you told me, may be a fuse for AB system or control module.

If by some chance the clockspring is junk, let me know and I'll replace it for you.

I'll check the wiring again but I'm fairly certain it's okay. I've checked all of the fuses I can find but will look at that again too. Do you know of a way to check the control module?

Thanks for the reply.

I'll check the wiring again but I'm fairly certain it's okay. I've checked all of the fuses I can find but will look at that again too. Do you know of a way to check the control module?

Thanks for the reply.

Not without a scantool. Pain in the ass but checking continuity from the module to airbag would be the thing to do with no scanner. If continuity is good, module would be the issue (assuming power and grounds are good-and I would, considering you didn't have a problem until the clockspring damage)

You have 2 airbag fuses in the fuse box and an indic fuse (according to the chassis manual).

Do the SWRC work ok?

Nope, the SWRC have never worked. I was hoping it was the clockspring for that too. I'll check the continuity and borrow a scan tool and see what happens.

Thanks again for the advice.

Ok, will do. I have too many irons in the fire now so it may be a few days or so. I received my replacement top yesterday and started that project. I appreciate the feedback and will let you know soon.

• 2 weeks later...

I got around to checking the continuity on the clock spring and other wiring and I'm not sure of the results. On the SWRC cable, it checks fine with continuity all the way through on each pin. The air bag cable on the other hand has continuity but it is no matter what wires are being checked. The white and green wires seem to be connected somewhere and to me it seems like a short. I'm not sure if it's suppose to be that way or not as I don't know much about these things but the service manual doesn't mention it should be that way. I then check some of the voltages on the DERM and one checked out higher than what was recommended but the manual gave some jibberish about a short but didn't say where, it just said repair it.

Any ideas or opinions would be appreciated. Thanks.