Pistom slap or rod knock mystery...

Starflare5

Hey guys,

I have a 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL with the 3.1L engine and automatic. Recently, the engine has developed a piston slap or rod knocking noise only when the engine is warm. I have no check engine light, and, no other issues seem to be arrising from it, just the noise. I have also changed the oil and put in an engine/oil treatment, and the noise still remains. Does anyone have any clue what could be the cause of this? Please let me know.

Thank you,

Starflare5.

No such thing as a rod knock only when warm. When you spin a bearing, you know you spun a bearing. It will sound like bones are crunching in your engine bay.

I'd be looking for problems in the upper valve train. Depending on how loud it is, it can be anything from a stuck lifter to a broken valve spring.

Edited by xtremerevolution

No such thing as a rod knock only when warm.

Pretty much...but the knock can be worse when hot, as the oil is thinner and provides less "cushion".

Similarly, piston slap only when hot is pretty unusual, too. Typically worse when cold, because the pistons aren't expanded from heat.

I'd be looking for problems in the upper valve train. Depending on how loud it is, it can be anything from a stuck lifter to a broken valve spring.

Worthwhile.

My '98 Lumina has had a knock like that for the past 50,000 miles. In my case, it's most noticeable if you take your foot off the gas at around 60 MPH. My friend is a GM tech and said live with it. He's been right so far. I did some reading on the subject and cam bearings were mentioned in some articles.

I had a knock you could not hear for bout 4-5 min and it was a spun bearing. it sounded like hell when the oil warmed up.

By that point, you should be able to see the shavings in the oil, lol.

Sent from my HTC Awesome using Tapatalk

Could that actually cause the sound to be louder in the underside of the engine?

The lifter is underneath the lower intake manifold, but above the cam. You can't get it out without removing the lower intake manifold. I'll have a listen when I get a chance, but you can generally tell when its a valvetrain issue and not a bottom end issue.

Ok thanks. I'll look into getting it replaced right away.

Its not quite that simple. Replacing a lifter requires removal of the lower intake manifold, which requires replacement of the lower intake manifold gaskets as well, and by the time you're done, you still won't be 100% sure its the lifter and not the valve spring. If you're taking it in, they'll be able to figure it out for you, but if you're doing this job yourself, don't expect it to be a 1-2 hour deal.

Its not quite that simple. Replacing a lifter requires removal of the lower intake manifold, which requires replacement of the lower intake manifold gaskets as well, and by the time you're done, you still won't be 100% sure its the lifter and not the valve spring. If you're taking it in, they'll be able to figure it out for you, but if you're doing this job yourself, don't expect it to be a 1-2 hour deal.

Leave a solid 6-8hours if I were you just incase any mistake. Had to remove the lower intake manifold(first time) and it took a good 6 or 7 hours to remove and re-assemble. Granted, we were repairing a oil leak in the oil pump which may of taken longer to try to form a new gasket/fit the o-ring around. Which may be leaking again already, but it seems like im leaking somewhere else now. We also got delayed a solid hour or two when the o-ring shot into the engine bay and had to use another we had, and when we missed a connection in the re-assemble and had to disassemble again. I would just make sure you have a nice full day if you're doing it outside. That, and the LQ1 in the cutty vert was a bitch compared to the 3100 I had before.

I believe I'm going to take it to a local shop here if I can find one inexpensive enough, otherwise, I will look into doing it myself with my trusty Haynes manual.

By the way, thank you all soo much for your input. You all have been wonderful.

Edited by Starflare5
spell check

• 1 month later...

I found out that the cheapest a shop said that they'll do it is $400 dollars.... looks like I might be taking apart the engine sometime in the summer.

Edited by Starflare5

• 2 weeks later...

Well, unfortunately, after getting it thuroughly checked out, it turns out that actually was a rod. Before I lost the car to an engine failure, I bought a 1991 Buick Regal Custom. Pictures later. I've got my work cut out for me, but, it's in a whole better shape than my CS was body wise and mechanically. So far, the only mechanical issue appears to be the cat converter. So, I still stayed with the W-body platform, but, now, have some new work cut out for me.

Well, unfortunately, after getting it thuroughly checked out, it turns out that actually was a rod. Before I lost the car to an engine failure, I bought a 1991 Buick Regal Custom. Pictures later. I've got my work cut out for me, but, it's in a whole better shape than my CS was body wise and mechanically. So far, the only mechanical issue appears to be the cat converter. So, I still stayed with the W-body platform, but, now, have some new work cut out for me.

3.1 or 3.8L?