What are the brightest lights u can get

mazdamx640

I was talking about the housings. I've also been very happy with my experience with mine and that company. Please quit over analyzing things Andrei.

Explain how I over analyzed something? You posted a link with a bulb and a housing, person below you talked about said bulb. Exactly how was I supposed to interpret the discussion? You certainly didn't say "housing" in your post, but instead, you did refer to bulbs.

I've discovered that its better to over-analyze than to under-analyze. Under-analyzing lends itself to misinterpretation much more often.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• xtremerevolution

• white4d96

• mra32

• skitchin

You mentioned the HIR bulbs with your first response to the thread, I seconded it with mine. :thumbsup: Upgrading to those is a big expenditure when all 4 bulbs are added up, but its probably worth it, especially for a plug and play.

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-9006-VisionPlus-Headlight-Bulb/dp/B00480J572

these are pretty economical and made a huge difference on my gf's car. Supposedly they are in the same class as the nighthawks? I also refurbished the lenses and aimed the headlights properly. Cleaning the windshield is another biggie. Cant say anything about lifespan yet, but there is printed data.

Wouldnt putting a 9005 bulb in a 9006 socket and wiring it to your lows be like running with your high beams on all the time? If you wanted to do that, wouldnt you just be better off with your high beams on all the time with that? I think youd still run into the glare issue because the construction of 9005 and 9006 housings is pretty much the same. I think the fluting might be different by a smidge due to the fact they have different uses (longer distance lighting vs shorter distance lighting). There is no 'cap' to control the light coming out the front in the housings, its provided by the bulb itself. If you could make a 9005 with a cap, it might be a decent option, because at that point you just have lows with higher wattage output.

In my motorcycles i'm probably going to go with one of these and keep a spare somewhere on the bikes due to the low lifespan

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-9003-X-treme-Power-Headlight/dp/B00480FIMI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1324335616&sr=8-1

I think I have 2 or 3 H4 bulbs that work that I'm not using and these would make 4 or 5 spares, so I'd be good to go. Redundancy is a beautiful thing

My bad, I said bulb in my post, meant housing. That housing is tinted blue, wondering if there's any other straight silver housing replacements like that one. Definitely want some housings so I don't have to glue shit in place... Not sure what setup I'm going with. HID's in fogs wouldn't be much better as I typically drive with them on(manual DRL)

You mentioned the HIR bulbs with your first response to the thread, I seconded it with mine. :thumbsup: Upgrading to those is a big expenditure when all 4 bulbs are added up, but its probably worth it, especially for a plug and play.

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-9006-VisionPlus-Headlight-Bulb/dp/B00480J572

these are pretty economical and made a huge difference on my gf's car. Supposedly they are in the same class as the nighthawks? I also refurbished the lenses and aimed the headlights properly. Cleaning the windshield is another biggie. Cant say anything about lifespan yet, but there is printed data.

Wouldnt putting a 9005 bulb in a 9006 socket and wiring it to your lows be like running with your high beams on all the time? If you wanted to do that, wouldnt you just be better off with your high beams on all the time with that? I think youd still run into the glare issue because the construction of 9005 and 9006 housings is pretty much the same. I think the fluting might be different by a smidge due to the fact they have different uses (longer distance lighting vs shorter distance lighting). There is no 'cap' to control the light coming out the front in the housings, its provided by the bulb itself. If you could make a 9005 with a cap, it might be a decent option, because at that point you just have lows with higher wattage output.

In my motorcycles i'm probably going to go with one of these and keep a spare somewhere on the bikes due to the low lifespan

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-9003-X-treme-Power-Headlight/dp/B00480FIMI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1324335616&sr=8-1

I think I have 2 or 3 H4 bulbs that work that I'm not using and these would make 4 or 5 spares, so I'd be good to go. Redundancy is a beautiful thing

You made a very good point about refurbishing lenses. A great deal of light output can be gained from clearing up even slightly fogged lenses.

I hadn't noticed the lack of the cap on the 9006 vs the 9005. I guess the HIR 9012 would be logical choice for a direct replacement then. They aren't **too** expensive compared to HID kits for someone who wants significantly higher output.

Yes, that was way better than an apology. Thanks Andrei! :thumbsup:

Because I insulted you and offended you in some way that requires an apology? You weren't being clear, so I took my chances and wrote up a thorough response. If my response isn't relevant for you, then it was relevant for the guy who responded to you, who still had a discussion regarding these bulbs earlier. Either way, it was relevant on some way, shape, or form. If you absolutely need me to remove your quote and insert the other guy's quote, I can do that. I just figured I wouldn't have to.

If you really wanted to pimp your headlights, a proper headlight relay will also make your lights brighter. This way you can ensure your car is delivering the same voltage to your bulbs that your alternator is producing instead of going through some convoluted path to a dimmer switch in the dash or something and finally ending up with 11.8v at your bulbs. This is where huge gains in a particular application can be made. You can make your own or buy a kit, but I'd expect to pay somewhere between $30 and $50 for the kit or the parts to do it.

While an OEM 9006 bulb produces 1000 lumens, a GE Nighthawk produces 1150 lumens, a 15% increase. At that point, you'd be better off just modifying a 9005 bulb (which requires shaving off part of one of the notches), or running an HIR bulb for the same price.

I can't do that 9005 bulb mod/HIR bulb in my car, my bulb shield is OPEN in the front, therefore I NEED that cap on the bulb!:mad:

It has that stamped ring thing, nothing covering the front.

I agree, the blue tint is from the blue bulb reflection! :lol:

It's like how Hella's "Black magic" lamps work, a part if painted black and it looks black because of the reflection, but when the bulb is on, it's a reflector.

Who says a retro has to damage your headlights? Morimoto projectors: Bake lens off, pop projector through bulb hole, tighten nut, reseal lens. Reverse to be stock. $70 for Mini's, $100 for Micro's.

sorry to bring this up from page two, but does this actually fit/work? would it fit/work for the '90 cutlass with the square head lights?

I've never compared the size of the cutlass lights to the grand prix lights, but the Mini's fit in my gp lights, just. The shrouds will require heavy modification to fit, but that is normal. The Matchboxes fit my car, and those shrouds only required minor trimming.

Keep in mind though for best performance you will need to find and/or make optically clear lenses for your headlights, as the fluted lenses in our cars will scatter the light and while it is an improvement over stock still, having those lenses be clear makes it a million times better.

• 2 weeks later...
Thats not he point. I shouldn't have to ride around with with my mirrors dimmed. If your light is so bright to the point to where I have to dim the mirror, than obviously they are too bright.

It sketches me out when ppl blast up behind me with bright ass lights. Turn that shit down.

Isn't that why vehicles come with dimming mirrors? Or do you just not understand that concept?

Any chance of you growing up? I'd really appreciate it if you became a responsible adult instead of remaining inconsiderate.

Come drive my girlfriends Grand Prix with the stock lights. We can't see anything safely at night.

Isn't that why vehicles come with dimming mirrors? Or do you just not understand that concept?

how do we dim our windshields when your lights are in our face?

how do we dim our windshields when your lights are in our face?

I might be getting a set of those easy fit projectors. Do you have a link for them?

Sent from my HTC Awesome using Tapatalk

theretrofitsource.com

Their Morimoto Mini H1's are on their site, that is what I have right now. They also have Matchbox H1's, but you need to email them about those as they are a limited run.

High beams are bad, but PNP HID's are just as bad if not worse.

Just the other day I was quite literally blinded by a new F150, possibly a Raptor, with HID's. No joke, I had to pull over to the side of the road and wait until I could see again. Don't be that guy.

Just the other day I was quite literally blinded by a new F150, possibly a Raptor, with HID's. No joke, I had to pull over to the side of the road and wait until I could see again. Don't be that guy.

Those are exceptions. Its particularly bad when trucks do it. Hell, I've been blinded by trucks with halogens. I've been blinded less by some people with 35W HID kits than I have by people who have a badly misaligned headlight with halogens.

Sent from my HTC Awesome using Tapatalk

I had HIDs in my car for for almost a year, and have had very few people high beam me. Last week, one of my ballasts stopped working, so I've been running modified 9005 high beam bulbs, and in the last two weeks, I've been high beamed more with them than with my 6000k HIDs. Both were properly aimed after install.

I wouldn't even compare trucks with HIDs to cars with them. I was blinded tonight by a HD Sierra with stock halogens, but I know someone who has an early 2000s Silverado that has been lifted about 6 inches and has HIDs in eBay projectors, and they blind you less than half the cars on the road with stock halogens..

I'd also like to say that my HIDs were the best thing I have ever bought for my car. They lit up the road much wider and further than halogens ever could. Ever since I had to run stock bulbs again, I find it a lot harder to see things along the sides of the roads, like animals.

I can see your point there. When I get HIDs on my Ranger, I'm getting the projector housings and aiming them right.

I'm thinking/hoping the recessed headlamp on my GP should keep the light from going too high.

The fact they're recessed won't help, it's how they're aimed.

I still fail to understand why people would screw around with effectively jerry-rigging and glueing in bulbs to the housings of their factory miniquads when it is one of the few aftermarket things available for these cars...

http://www.eurolamps.com/eurolamps/camaro_headlights.htm

Because it is a hands on mod, actually very simple, cost effective and gives a sense of accomplishment when finished.

Definitely want some housings so I don't have to glue shit in place...

Once I get the rebate money back I'll have a total of $98.99 invested including the RTV silicone to "glue" them in and a bit of bulb grease to waterproof them: and that's for all four vs. $78-$88/pair + shipping for the aftermarket eurolamps.

I went with the Sylvania Silverstar Ultra bulbs and don't understand why they get such a bad rap. I currently have them in another one of my cars (four bulb system too) and they've been in it since 2006 with only one bulb burning out. They operate off the same wattage the stock bulbs do so don't tax the wiring, they aren't coated and put out good visible light, much better than OEM. Take your time and they fit well, only my passenger side high beam was out of alignment and easily adjusted to be perfect.

http://www.w-body.com/showthread.php/53350-Want-to-Replace-Miniquad-stock-bulbs-but

http://www.adamsforums.com/forums/vehicle-mods/15472.htm

The reason why I don't like Sylvania Silverstars is because they're expensive and the gains aren't worth the cost. Yes, I have used them before. When one burned out 10 months in, I didn't bother to drop another $20 for a replacement.

Perhaps I've just been lucky but like I said the ones in a current vehicle have lasted quite a while and a set I had in a previous vehicle I had no problems with. They're readily available at the National Auto Parts chain stores and definitely put out a whiter light than standard bulbs.

Having the Mini Quads, this was a much less expensive alternative to the eurolamps with questionable bulbs and better than going stock.

I had HIDs in my car for for almost a year, and have had very few people high beam me. Last week, one of my ballasts stopped working, so I've been running modified 9005 high beam bulbs, and in the last two weeks, I've been high beamed more with them than with my 6000k HIDs. Both were properly aimed after install.

I wouldn't even compare trucks with HIDs to cars with them. I was blinded tonight by a HD Sierra with stock halogens, but I know someone who has an early 2000s Silverado that has been lifted about 6 inches and has HIDs in eBay projectors, and they blind you less than half the cars on the road with stock halogens..

I'd also like to say that my HIDs were the best thing I have ever bought for my car. They lit up the road much wider and further than halogens ever could. Ever since I had to run stock bulbs again, I find it a lot harder to see things along the sides of the roads, like animals.

90% of my driving is at night, and I know what blinds the shit out of me. Almost every PNP-equipped car is glaring, and if the car has a truly clear front lens and you put HID's in it, chances are it will be blinding. It's not just "oh, it's because it's a truck."