5 speed firewall plate / clutch

jman093

Anyone know if the 5 speed pedals and firewall plate happen to be the same on 282 and 284 cars? How about the clutch cylinder / actuator thing? I have a 282 swap, but am missing those pieces.

fire wall plates are the same 284 to 282. However they are different between PM3 and non PM3 cars. if you do not have a PM3 you need a non PM3 plate and vice versa.

The clutch master cylinder and clutch slave cylinders are different from 284 vs 282. I would just buy new master and slave cylinders, they are cheap enough and you don't want to bleed the clutch system any more times than you have to.

• 3 weeks later...
Did your car come with the ABSVI? Did the older smaller booster fit to it and work with no issue?

I don't know what you're asking exactly.. As long as it is not a PM3 all master cylinders and boosters are interchangeable.

the 94+ boosters are too wide to accommodate the clutch master, are they not?

Thats correct but on an automatic car they would be completely interchangeable. Manual trans cars are the only ones bound to the 91-93 booster. And yes the 91-93 booster will fit any first gen w-body with or without abs. And just so you guys know, even though it is smaller it does not provide any less braking power. It just STORES less. So when the engine is off and has stopped creating vacuum you only have one easy push of the pedal where as the larger 94+ booster provides 2-4

Thats correct but on an automatic car they would be completely interchangeable. Manual trans cars are the only ones bound to the 91-93 booster. And yes the 91-93 booster will fit any first gen w-body with or without abs. And just so you guys know, even though it is smaller it does not provide any less braking power. It just STORES less. So when the engine is off and has stopped creating vacuum you only have one easy push of the pedal where as the larger 94+ booster provides 2-4

Cool, I always wondered if the smaller ones changed pedal feel on our cars since they sometimes will. That's with the smaller booster still using the stock 94+ master cylinder?

• 1 month later...

So, I found 1990 cutlass with manual tranmission in it. I have pulled the clutch pedal, cables, shifter, master cylinder, sounds like I should probably grab the brake booster? Also, Can I put this in a 1995 cutlass? Thoughts? Thoughts on what it would take? I can't use the transmission from the cutlass, what trans can i use. Thanks