wheel help!!

04SS_97GTP

hello i recently purchased a 04 monte carlo and it has the 17in wheels on it stock with 235/55/17 tires i was just wondering whats the widest wheel and tire combo i can out on this car? i recently jus sold my 98 firebird so im back into the wbodies. thank in advance for the help :)

I don't know jack about Montes or running at circle tracks, but it's probably an issue with your tire compound more so than tire width. I did some quick poking around online and people seem to say "9" is the widest you want to go", you could probably run either a 245 or 255 - but I'm not sure what the stock wheel size is tbh. Don't go too low profile or your car WILL in fact ride like shit, and in my experience, a bit of tire roll is actually a good thing. Low profile tires may be more responsive, but they give less warning before losing their grip.

In the end, I'd say you probably want some nice soft slicks, and perhaps a touch more negative camber, depending on the banking of the track. Let someone else confirm that though, because I'm halfway talking out my ass :).

I don't know jack about Montes or running at circle tracks, but it's probably an issue with your tire compound more so than tire width. I did some quick poking around online and people seem to say "9" is the widest you want to go", you could probably run either a 245 or 255 - but I'm not sure what the stock wheel size is tbh. Don't go too low profile or your car WILL in fact ride like shit, and in my experience, a bit of tire roll is actually a good thing. Low profile tires may be more responsive, but they give less warning before losing their grip.

In the end, I'd say you probably want some nice soft slicks, and perhaps a touch more negative camber, depending on the banking of the track. Let someone else confirm that though, because I'm halfway talking out my ass :).

He's right. Its the tire compound that will make the difference. Why do you think summer performance tires have such a low treadwear rating? Softer and stickier rubber.

Past that, the tire is only as good as your suspension (and vice versa). They both work together.

Going with too wide a tire will also cause the tire to roll more in the corners. Get the correct width tire to match your rim width, not the widest you can possibly get. That's only useful for straight line launching.

i prolly shouldve said this earlier...it wont be permanent. i have a few friends that do it on a weekly basis and they wana see what my car can do. i know the tires i have now wont handle good due to me accidentally taking a turn to fast and i almost lost control on dry pavement. i wana get diff wheels neway jus thought id ask before looking. thanks for the help.