Moog K6000 Leaf Spring Helpers and Moog K6544 Leaf Spring Pads

90V6RedHotLuminaEuro

Good Day! Do the Moog K6000 Leaf Spring Helpers take the place of the Moog K6544 Leaf Spring Pads? If not I'd like to order and replace both... any pics around here of the helpers installed... or a how-to?

Thanks!

K6544

http://www.w-body.com/showthread.php/21004-Monoleaf-Pad-Thread-(Part-Number-and-HowTo-Inside)/page2

Post 58

The K6000 and K6544 do different things and install in different places, but each one will raise the rear of the vehicle a bit. Didn't know about the K6000 until this thread. Gonna have to check 'em out...

Thanks... great post... I found some other posts but not that one...

The Best Deal I could find is on Ebay from a Seller ID "autopartsnerd"... Ebay Store: http://stores.ebay.com/AUTOPARTSNERD

Moog K6000 Leaf Spring Helpers $48.48 + 9.95 Shipping = $58.43

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160572155325?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_1690wt_940

Moog K6544 Leaf Spring Pads $14.69 + 6.95 Shipping = $21.64

http://www.ebay.com/itm/390348038244?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_1695wt_940

He has both listed as "Leaf Spring Bushings"

Seller will combine shipping if both are purchased. I saved $6.95 with combined shipping... so I got the whole package for $73.12.

Edited by 90V6RedHotLuminaEuro

• 5 weeks later...

Hey People.. Hope you're all having a pleasant day...

I installed my Moog K6544 Rear Transverse Spring Isolator Pads and my Moog K6000 Leaf Spring Helpers today... just a while ago... passenger side in the dark... it started snowing (???!!!) just before I finished. I would have finished a bit sooner than I did... if my electric impact wrench with universal joint and 15mm socket didn't throw one of the Leaf Spring Support to Frame bolts under the car and into the grass and leaves and mud... watchagonnado?

Below are some pics of the parts as contents of half a box... and as installed... The Helpers came with Shims... but I don't think they're necessary... I did try them on... the car was higher and felt very hard when I pushed down on it... they probably would make for a very harsh ride. I suppose you would need them if you were towing a boat, or house, or something.

I just thought of something... I'm not sure what the code is for my leaf springs... I wanted to get that while I was doing the job... attached is a pic of my RPO Codes... if anybody can tell me from that what "firmness" of spring I have... I think it might be a heavier duty one for the Euro... I would expect that.. but it sure looked saggy to me... 22 years old... can't expect too much... glad it's not broken!

The job went relatively well for me... I'm not a professional mechanic and this is my first go at monkeying around with the leaf spring assembly... I did the struts this past September... for a more experienced... knows-bunch-about-his/her W-Body person... with a garage (and not a mud pit) and some air tools... could probably whip it out before his coffee gets cold.

I have a little cement walkway surrounded by grass, leaves, mud... that I work on. I get one side of the cars wheels up on it so there's still room for my jack, jack stands, wheel chocks, tools, etc... and then I turn the car around and back up onto it the same way... that alone kinda eats up some time... watchagonnado?

I jacked up the car... and put a jack stand under the leaf spring... then let the jack down allowing the weight of the car to work for me... the leaf spring sitting on top of the jackstand rose up while the car went down. I then chiseled out the old pads with a good hammer, a big screw driver, and a really good strong putty knife that has a chunk of metal on the end for just such type of pounding.

There was room to work, but I believe if you removed a couple of other items... there wouild be more room and getting the old pads out would be a little easier. I did remove the disk brake shields... do I need those things by the way? The new pads slipped in easily.

Having a very vintage electric impact wrench was very helpful for getting the lug nuts and frame bolts off and on. If you do the Helpers, make sure you put the rubber part on before installing the metal part to the frame... The first Helper I installed.. I didn't tighten the nuts for the rubber part and it was hard to tighten them with the metal mount installed on the frame. The next pad, I bolted the rubber part on first and that's the way to go.

I had to move the car to find my missing frame bolt... thankfully, that didn't take long (sheesh!).

After getting everything put back together I gave her the once over. She sits up higher now and no longer looks saggy in the butt. I test drove her on the highway and around the pothole road around my trailer park... making sure to hit all the potholes... I had filled the tires with the max amount of air this afternoon (44 psi)... I just got these tires used... I noticed they weren't holding air so well... probably sitting for a while... I thought I'd max the air pressure for a bit to better seat the bead... The car has a harder ride but not so bad... it was fine for me... and when I adjust the air pressure to the recommended 30 psi... she'll have an even nicer walk. I'll get some pics of how she sits (it's too dark now)... but I think she looks more "Planted"... and/or Sure Footed.

Attached is a Pic of my Lumina Before the pads and helpers.

post-6615-143689085085_thumb.jpg

post-6615-143689085055_thumb.jpg

post-6615-143689085069_thumb.jpg

post-6615-143689085073_thumb.jpg

post-6615-143689085077_thumb.jpg

post-6615-143689085081_thumb.jpg

Add content

spring info:

http://www.w-body.com/oldsite/spring-codes.html

and get your tires back into the safe zone. 44psi = TOOOOO MUCH. should be around 30 to 32 psi.

Yeah... I know... just wanted to seat the bead on the tires... I think they were laying around for a while without air in them... when I bought them, just weeks ago... used... they all needed lots of air. I don't intend to run around with rock hard Flintstone Mobile tires... if they continue to lose air... I'll just Slime 'em a bit... I like that Slime... works for me every Time.

...just a related note... many years ago I worked in a Pit for a very busy quick oil change joint... they had me filling tires to the max rating on the tires... I told them they should be filling them only to the max level on the manufacturers label... but nope... they made me fill the tires to the max... so if you ever go to a lube joint, or even, any auto shop, check your tires afterward... I think often it's the opposite and they don't check your tires at all... I had my oil changed at a tire place... and they didn't check the tires... I had to ask them to.

Thanks for your response and reminder though... I do appreciate that. I'm going to do just that in a little while before I go to work. I'm anxious about feeling how the car rides with the new spring parts and the correct amount of air in the tires.

I often carry a lot of "stuff" in my trunk. I wish I had those helpers a couple months ago. I answered an ad on Craigslist... 200-300 78 RPM records for $20.00... almost a two hour ride from me... 78s generally weigh a LOT... I went to get them... the guy was astounded that I only had a "car" and not a truck... it was more like a thousand 78 RPM records... just a handful weigh about as much as my 3.1 V6... my poor Lumina was dragging its butt along the ground all the way home... I was surprised I made it out of his driveway... since then I've had other heavy weights stuffed into the trunk... including but not limited to a 1950 Zenith "Madison" Console with a porthole TV, Radio, and Phonograph... a monster... but I stuffed it in the trunk with about a thousand bungee cords and rope, and got it home Ok. I'm pretty sure now I could stuff anything I want in there and not worry about my wheels rubbing against the roof of my car.

John B.

I've never seen that product before, very interesting.

It definitely raises the rear end up and gives new life to an old spring... a slightly harder and bouncier ride... especially with no weight in the back seat or trunk... I no longer have a spare tire, jack, or any of that junk in the trunk... and I believe I may have the least expensive struts ever made... but the car feels more planted with very little sway... if any.

It's all much better than what I had... I just changed the struts a couple of months ago... I think the ones I took off were the originals... 22 years old... full of nasty black water... they just fell apart and made a mess on the pavement. The butt end of the car was just dead and flat like a skateboard. It's definitely awake and got some action to it now.

I suppose if you wanted to you can shave the rubber block to customize the setup to your own taste. It's an easy, inexpensive fix for a weak or flat leaf spring.

John B.

OK, I have a dumb question.

Do you still have the instructions from the kit & is there any way you could load a picture of it on here? Please, Please, Please.

I'm considering getting this/these, but I want to be as well informed as I can be before I get them and then say, "OH Snap!"

Hi! Yes I Do... and believe it or not... I kept them for just such a purpose... I'll scan 'em in and get back to you... maybe I can email them to you...

later,

john b.

• 2 weeks later...

Good Day All!

Approximately 2 weeks later... My car, with the correct PSI in the tires, has snuggled up to the New Moog Spring Pads and Helpers... all are getting along smoothly and are riding, and handling, quite comfortably.

Now I can load up my car with my entire life... family and friends... 2 dogs... and an extra large veggy pizza while the rear suspension twitches a little... rubs it's nose... and goes back to sleep.

I believe as things develop with my old Fat Body Jalopy Cruiser... I'll continue to consider this one of the Top 3 Best Upgrades I've done on the car... inexpensive... relatively easy to install... and a very noticeable improvement of ride height, load tolerance, handling, and comfort.

...and for how much did I say? ...about $75 bucks... and some elbow grease... so to speak.

Enjoy Your Rides!

John B.

• 2 months later...

Stupid question, but does it matter if you use the MOOG K6544 and leave the OEM rubber on the ends of the spring? The new old stock spring I got still has the rubber ends intact and I've got a pair of moog isolator pads arriving tomorrow.

Stupid question, but does it matter if you use the MOOG K6544 and leave the OEM rubber on the ends of the spring? The new old stock spring I got still has the rubber ends intact and I've got a pair of moog isolator pads arriving tomorrow.

You know what... if your rubber is in great shape... I'd go for it... what are you thinking? ...maybe they'll give the spring a little lift, firmer ride, cushier ride? ...if it don't work out, say, maybe some wierd squeaking or something... it's not a big deal to take them out. Sure... why not?

You know what... if your rubber is in great shape... I'd go for it... what are you thinking? ...maybe they'll give the spring a little lift, firmer ride, cushier ride? ...if it don't work out, say, maybe some wierd squeaking or something... it's not a big deal to take them out. Sure... why not?

I'm wasn't thinking at the time, that's the trouble. I ordered the pads earlier today before I realized that they're replacements for worn out stock pads (the glued ones) and don't actually come with the car when stock.

the rubber is in FINE shape, a few witness marks that tell me it's been installed before, but the overall condition of the spring tells me it was barely used.

thanks!

The Moog pads are Nice and made from a different material... you may want to use them... if not... eBay! ...or maybe someone around here could use a good deal...

huh..I got a pair at the parts store today. Ordered in the MOOG, took a day to get and they were about 45 bucks, nobody knew what I was talking about when I said "leaf spring pads/isolators/bushings" but when I gave 'em the part number they found it.

Once I opened the box to see if there were indeed 2 (if there weren't it would've been 90 bucks. fuck that) the parts guy knew exactly what they were - They call them friction blocks? wtf? - and said they have like 4 generic ones (sold individually) left in the back, nobody has bought any in years. 20 bucks.

The MOOG part looked pretty good, but so does this one. Doesn't have the 3 slots in it that the MOOG parts do.

Anyway, who the hell calls them friction blocks? I can't even find these things online with the part number and brand :D Chassis Pro 15512 "GM W Body rear leaf spring friction block 1988+" I've never heard that one before at all.

huh..I got a pair at the parts store today. Ordered in the MOOG, took a day to get and they were about 45 bucks, nobody knew what I was talking about when I said "leaf spring pads/isolators/bushings" but when I gave 'em the part number they found it.

Here they are on eBay... lowest price I could find $17.97 with Free Shipping...

Moog K6544 on eBay

Just for fun, here are the Moog K6000 Helpers on eBay, best price $51.96, Free Shipping

add content