Plasti-Dipped rims!

GtpKo

Seriously, that's a funny thought! Some people have even used roller brushes to paint cars :lol:. As long as you can go from point A to point B and not giving a shit about what you look like doing it. I happen to care about the look of the vehicle I'm driving and would never spend $75 on a paint job.

Rolled on can actually work.....

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS1id-5skkIr_I1ok505PxQoV-kEodF637ZnRjctAq30oB2pVJM

What happens to the plasti-dip stuff when you use the brakes hard and the wheel gets a full dose of radiated/convected heat?

Manufacturer states the product's upper temperature limit is 200 F.

http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip

exactly what I was going to post about. I know the clear I had on my xlaces before I powdercoated them would get soft from the heat and the brown brake dust would stick to it turning my black wheels to a shade of reddish/brown after a while.

• 5 weeks later...

Finally had time to get these put on with a set of winter tires. My car needs a wash badly and I need to touch-up the rims a bit from the installation. However, here are some pics to show how the +25 offset looks on a 2nd gen. Sweeet!:D

DSCF0442-a.jpg

DSCF0444-a.jpg

DSCF0445-a.jpg

DSCF0443-a.jpg

I definitely feel more steering response and tighter cornering, even though you normally feel less with soft winter tires.

I had a GTO come in the other day for tires and his rims were Plasti-Dipped..... I dont know if he didnt prep the rims or what, but that stuff peeled off like crazy when we mounted tires on them. I could literally peel it off with my finger without even scratching it with my nail. Needless to say the customer was pissed over what the wheels looked like after we mounted new rubber on them.

Sounds like inadequate prep. With good prep(alcohol or degreaser that leaves no residue), you can use a high pressure spray at the car wash and it wont affect them. Shouldn't peel off that easy. Touch-up is better than paint since the new layer melts into the previous layer.

With that said, next time I'll be a bit more patient and have the tires mounted first, then coat them. That's the right way.