Plasti-Dipped rims!

GtpKo

Start with a very clean rim, I used brake cleaner to clean any remaining grease off.

DSCF0361.jpg

After the first coat, looks good already!

Plasti-Diprim1-coat.jpg

And after three coats. Looks sweet!

Plasti-Diprim1.jpg

Plasti-Diprim2.jpg

Takes 1 can per rim to get 3 coats inside and out. It dries quick so I only needed 30 min between coats. Good thing about this stuff is that the solvent from the fresh coat melts into the previous coat so there are no layers. I got mine for $6 each at Home Depot in the US. Up here in Toronto, it can be found for $15 at the cheapest.

It comes in black, red, yellow, white, and clear as far as I know. Only thing I could find was black, but thats what I needed.

I wasn't sure how it was going to turn out, but I really like the outcome!

Are you going to clear over it or something? Just curious because that looks 1000x better than spraying them with wheel paint.

*edit*

After about 10sec on google found out that you don't have to clear over it. To stay relevant to the thread, they look really good like that. Is it a smooth finish?

Edited by Nick1233

Yea, it actually smooths itself out. Cool stuff. The part that sold me is that it can be cut and peeled easily. If you don't like it next year, it peels off completely.

They say it holds up pretty well, won't chip. I think the trick is having it almost sterile before you start and put down plenty of coats. I'll be using these all winter and we'll see next spring how it looks.

Semi-related note: Have you ever seen the wheels people have used spray-on bedliner on? Apparently it's a more permanent solution but it can cause issues with balancing if you don't spray even coats. I think I'm going to try the plasti-dip on my wheels in the spring (or maybe if I have a few days off and a clean garage in the winter), any tips other than normal paint prep?

The box held up fine :thumbsup: A bit wrinkled but better shape than the box my sway bar came in. O_o

As far as the heat issue goes, I didn't spray the area that contacts the rotor as that was in the back of my mind. I'm sure that since the rims are aluminum, heat will dissipate fast like a heatsink. It's been used since 2004 as far as I've seen on various forums and I haven't read about any heat issues.

say... has anyone ever considered painting a car with it????

There was a Malibu on youtube painted with it. It looked terrible. The coats were very uneven, and looked very spotty. If you could get the whole car coated in an even coat, it mightn't look too bad..

There was a Malibu on youtube painted with it. It looked terrible. The coats were very uneven, and looked very spotty. If you could get the whole car coated in an even coat, it mightn't look too bad..

Someone local here painted a dsm with it and it came out the same way...looks like complete shit.

say... has anyone ever considered painting a car with it????

Seriously, that's a funny thought! Some people have even used roller brushes to paint cars :lol:. As long as you can go from point A to point B and not giving a shit about what you look like doing it. I happen to care about the look of the vehicle I'm driving and would never spend $75 on a paint job.