More retardation

god910

SOOOOO..... I rolled the motor forward tonight to put the back three plugs in and make up the Accel 8.8's for the back 3 cyl's. (It's so much easier w/ that 5 sp. mount 8) ) I reach back to the #5 cylinder and pull the wire off and extract the plug. The wire had soot on it, like from an exh leak so I thought maybe the gasket was bad. THEN I get the plug out and there is this silvery metalic looking stuff all over the plug threads???? I'm assuming it's supposed to be some kind of sealant??? All 3 back plugs have this stuff on it, and I don't know why. so then I get a flashlight and notice a spot of oil on my torque shaft, and look to see where it's coming from. Anyone, anyone want to guess? ONE OF MY FUCKING HEAD BOLTS IS MISSING. Jesus Christ and all that's holy. This motor needs to come out kwik, there's no telling what the fuck else is going on in there. Maybe that knock I hear is a goddamn main cap bolt that was forgotten. :roll: Luckily when I get my new house (the offer was accepted today, 23K lower than original asking price :shock: ) the car is going down for the winter and hopefully will emerge a black beauty (that's not all bootlegged together) So thats just about it for now, I didn't put any kind of sealant on the threads and I know Mitch put those plugs in there so I will ask him WTF? It's not leaking or anything.

But, hey, it's still faster than Aaron's car. :fruity:

Aluminum heads and steel spark plugs don't mix!! Always always always use Anti-Seeze on the threads of the plug when putting them into an aluminum head. It only takes a dab...but the day you strip out a spark plug hole, you will wish you had anti-seeze on them!! :wink:

Missing head bolt? :shock: I would do this if you want a quick fix until you put her down for the winter for engine work. Do a compression test on the rear bank of cylinders and see if you have any bleed over to the cylinders on either side of the missing bolt. If you have no leak...you might (I say with serious doubt) get a new head bolt to torque in without destroying the head gasket. I doubt this will work because the head gasket has heat cycled a bunch of times since it was first installed. Forget what I said...put her down and fix it properly :gone2far: ... 8)

Oh yeah, she's not going to know who she was when it pulls out of that garage next spring. And being as I don't really care what happens in the next few weeks, I'll just drive it like it is (at most 30 miles a week, tis just a weekend care for now) and whatever happens, happens. I've got two more of these engines, so no big deal. I'm quite surprised that 17 PSI hasn't blown it apart. I also found out today that he used these little ass lug nuts (Like for a steele wheel) and there is (NO SHIT) about 1/8th of an ince to grab ahold of. Every time I run into this I want to smack the shit outta Mitch (Whether it was his fault or not, he's the only one I got to blame :lol: )