Windshield Replacement

Myotis1134

Anyone ever replaced their own windshield?

Probably not something that happens too often, but I have a donor car that has a flawless windshield, and I want it on the beast. Just from things I've seen here and there, I know it can't be too complicated, but I'd like to know if there are any tips or tricks out there that will make the transition a smooth one.

the 2 feet of the bottom in the dead center are a bitch to get the glue cut on without breaking the glass. i had one almost out at the pull a part and that got me. i'm debating whether to buy glass and do myself or farm it out to the glass place.

They are cake if you have the right tools. I've done hundreds at the body shop where I work. We have something that resembles a mini Sawzall, but has a flat butterknife-like blade on the end that zips right through the urethane. You can also use a "cold-knife" (it's the one that takes 2 hands to pull around the perimeter of the glass, though this one takes a bit more skill). Good luck which way you choose. Might be best to have a glass shop or equivalent do it.

Thanks for the advice guys. Does anyone think, in light of what has already been said, that using a heat gun and heating the shit out of the difficult areas would help to tear the old glass out of there?

I had a craked windshield in my vert about a year ago and a parts car that had a good one so I tried to go the route of doing it myself. I craked it on the bottom also so I broke down and had it done. The place I took it to did it for $150. I thought it was gonna be a Lot more than that, and had I known that I would have just brought it to them in the first place.

So my 2 cents is make a few calls and have it done.

I remember my dad using a piece of piano wire to "saw" through the seal when he replaced the windshield in our old Safari. I guess you'd need a helper to do that though.