Low oil light

AL

On a cold start, the GP will set the low oil light, however its not low... If I shut it off and restart it, it doesnt come on... The engine is out of an 05 but the harness is a 99... Should I look into replacing the low oil level sensor with an 04+ or with one from a 97-03? I have replaced the sensor with a used one and nothing changed so I think new is my best bet

The key cycle thing is normal. GM has it so if you restart the engine within 10 minutes (I think thats the correct time) it wont come back on again.

The sensor is just bad Al. They should be the same sensor.

If you don't shut the car off, will it stay on, or does it eventually shut off?

Stays on till I shut it off

Rockauto is showing different part numbers which is why I asked

The key cycle thing is normal. GM has it so if you restart the engine within 10 minutes (I think thats the correct time) it wont come back on again.

The sensor is just bad Al. They should be the same sensor.

Cool, didn't know that. Good info!

• 3 weeks later...

You have the same problem I do. Only thing I can think of is that it's unplugged somewhere else in the harness. Personally I just double cycle the kedy on cold starts and deal with it.

Lights on dash and OCD do not mix

Thats why you unplug the light bulb in the dash :thumbsup:

When we did the engine swap on out 87 Cutlass we eliminated the whole computer system, so there were numerous lights on, we just unplugged them, problem solved!

Yes, and then when a real problem crops up, you don't have that system there to perform as it's supposed to. I love the attitude of "it's not that important anyway, so let's just ignore it".

I'll second a short, but have you tried a different cluster? Older GP clusters used to get bad solder joints and this would happen.

Yes, and then when a real problem crops up, you don't have that system there to perform as it's supposed to. I love the attitude of "it's not that important anyway, so let's just ignore it".

Well the way I see it, if it's a Low Oil light, and you can physically check the oil with 1 easy step anyone can do, and you can ASSURE yourself that there is or is not low oil in the car, who needs a low oil light? Yes I guess it's a luxury but it should be semi daily routine to physically check your oil every now and then and not wait for a low oil light to pop on. You can't rely on faulty computers to falsely tell you the most easiest things there are to know about your engine, as in you oil level. That is why there is a dip stick...

Again, thats the way I see it, especially for a low oil light, if it's check engine light, or ABS light, etc, things that you can not directly check to assure your self, THEN yes I would look in to it more. But if this were me in this situation with a low oil light I would ignore it/unplug it.

Just change the sensor Al.

It's like $20, do it during your next oil change. Doesnt take long at all to change. The electrical connector comes off, then the sensor unscrews.

Just change the sensor Al.

It's like $20, do it during your next oil change. Doesnt take long at all to change. The electrical connector comes off, then the sensor unscrews.

He changed it, the light still comes on.

Disconnect the sensor. Short the 2 wires together with a paperclip, wire, ammeter, etc. The light should go off. If it doesn't, the power or ground wire has gone open. One wire should have 12 volts on it, the other should have ground.

Yes I want this system working properly, I dont wanna have to check my oil every couple of weeks cause I am too lazy to fix a problem... I havent checked the cluster yet but I will... However I dont have a spare cluster anymore I dont think, But I am thinking if it were the cluster, it would come on every start up, not just the first one of the day (or if its sat over an hour)...

Anthony, no I havent checked oil pressure yet, not a bad idea

BXX, this is the second time I have replaced the sensor

jman, I will check to see if it has power and ground to the sensor before replacing something else

• 8 months later...

Sorry to revive an old thread, but there was no solution posted. Did the OP fix his problem?

I had this same problem on my 03 Regal. I replaced the sensor, checked the wiring, and even swapped the PCM. Nothing helped. Shortly afterwards, the odometer display quit. I pulled the gauge module and re-soldiered 4 loose resistors to fix the display. Now that I have done that, the low oil light is working correctly.

Hope that helps someone.