94 regal radio swap

regalman

Im going to put aftermarket HU in next week. The existing radio has the cube shape control unit with the radio stashed under the dash.Wll this swap be straightforward ? Ill have the aftermarket wiring harness and antenna adaptor. New Kenwood going in.

What harness do you have? That car needs the tuner bypass harness the Metra part # is 70-1855. You will also need the Regal specific dashkit 99-2020. There is also a pocket avalible to take the place of your factory radio control unit 88-00-2020.

I pulled the cassette player and pulled the panel so i can see the connector on the tuning unit. It looks like three connectors, two from the cassette and one from the control unit plug in there. Called crutchfield and they said special cable came with radio installation kit, it is a 2 ft cable that plugs into the 3 ganged harness coming of the tuner box. I coudnt see antenna at all, where it plugs in to tuner box? Where is it?, do i have to drop that tuner box?.Am I still going to need a special cable.?

• 2 weeks later...

i put that new Kenwood HU in and man does it sound good. I have the stock tweeters and woofers in the front and some JBL GtO 6x9s in the rear,but they are 2 ohms, thinking about swapping them cause the kenwood book syas 4 -8 ohm speakers. What do you think? I have that stock cube radio available if anyone wants it.

Edited by regalman