Going to look at a low mileage 94 cutty convertable tonight 06/14/11 - help

GP4U2NV

What should I look for?

I know that it is a 3.1 car. Green with tan top and interior.

I have never looked at a convertable.

Looking for information on the problems with the convertable mostly. I know the 88-96 w-body problems already.

Check the weather stripping and see what kind of shape its in. Check the top, and pay close attention to the rear window area. Check for leaks. Make sure the top goes down with ease and doesn't make a lot of noise. IIRC 11 seconds down and 13 seconds up would be acceptable.

They didn't offer Green/tan/tan in 94...that was a 95 only color combo. Know that the weather stripping on the rear quarter windows will probably be shot. There isn't factory replacement, but you can make some from mid nineties F-body cars. If it has the top boot and the bag then thats a bonus. Count how long it takes the top to go up and down. When new, the tops went down in about 9-10 seconds and up in about 11-12. Some people on here say that theirs takes upwards of 25-30 seconds each way now. Make sure it goes up the same speed on both sides.

I can only speak to the '95's on this part (if it's green/tan/tan, then it's a 95, maybe manufactured in 94): Hold down the rear quarter window switches on the drivers door at the same time for a second or two and all 4 windows should go down...it's called the "auto down" feature.

If it's a back east car check behind the rear wheels on the sub frame for rust, I missed it on my 94 & if not for the wreck would be repairing it this summer.

Yes, I did. I is a 94 by vin although it looks and is the same color combo as "memphisman".

I was unable to really get a close look at it.

Information that I have now is:

1) Right side "lip" tail lamp is cracked on the corner

2) drivers seat has a towel on it - seat baddly cracked

3) power top has stopped working with "other eletrical" items undisclosed due to battery being dead. He said that he and a buddie where putting it up and down and it stopped working. Took other items out at same time.

4) rear tires flat.

I am going to look more into this vehicle another day.

Any more information

If it has this style dash:

post-5307-143689070952_thumb.jpg

but the VIN says it's a 94, my first thought is that something is shady about the vin or the title. Doors, hood, trunk, and fenders all have vin stickers...verify that they all match.

How much are they asking for the car?

It doesnt have that dash.

This dude is the orginal owner.

It def has a spoiler and lip tails. I was unable to see in the dark under the hood half open. I know there are no DOHC badges on the fenders.

If it doesn't have the 95-97 style dash, but the car is green/tan/tan, I don't know what to say except could you post a couple of pics of this car? I've simply never ever seen a factory tan interior in a pre '95 Cutlass and everything I've ever read says they didn't make em. It would be cool to see.

A more accurate way to tell (besides looking at the engine of course) if it's a 3.1 or 3.4: Exahaust pipes on both sides of the car? I wouldn't go by presence or absence of the DOHC badges.

LOL, you've really got me wanting to see this car!

If it doesn't have the 95-97 style dash, but the car is green/tan/tan, I don't know what to say except could you post a couple of pics of this car? I've simply never ever seen a factory tan interior in a pre '95 Cutlass and everything I've ever read says they didn't make em. It would be cool to see.

A more accurate way to tell (besides looking at the engine of course) if it's a 3.1 or 3.4: Exahaust pipes on both sides of the car? I wouldn't go by presence or absence of the DOHC badges.

LOL, you've really got me wanting to see this car!

Tan was available 1988-94...Just not in convertibles. Dark Teal Metallic wasn't available until 1995. It's either a 1995 or it's black with a white interior.

Or it's a Crazy K special and someone put a 1988-94 tan interior in a 1994 convertible.

Tan was available 1988-94...Just not in convertibles. Dark Teal Metallic wasn't available until 1995. It's either a 1995 or it's black with a white interior.

Or it's a Crazy K special and someone put a 1988-94 tan interior in a 1994 convertible.

I've never seen a tan interior in a 88-94 Cutlass, coupe or vert. Was the dash tan or black in them? (i.e., a white interior has a black dash/carpet)

LOL, we need some pics of this bad boy!

Thanks for posting these. Pretty cool for someone who's never seen one before. Never Maybe the owner took one of these dashes and put them in a dark teal 95? :lol:

Because, it was late and I was looking at all the other bad A $ $ stuff he had I can not be 100% sure. I am hoping to get out there this week and take pictures and make sure I am not crazy.

Also you said it was a 3.1 car and also that it had lip tails... that cannot be unless it was swapped.

Lip tails were standard on verts