2 or 4 ohm speakers?

regalman

I have been reading that 2 ohms speakers are not the best for sound quality in a vehicle.

I have a pair of JBL GTO 927 6x9 speakers in the rear of my regal, and the factory component speakers in the doors ,which are a different impedance. Does it hurt to have

different ohmed speakers in the vehicle? I am going to purchase a new HU soon, should

I got with strictly 4 ohm speakers. Also does anyone know what the ohm rating is for my

stock door speakers? They are the separate tweeter and woofer type.

Thanks

speaker impedance has nothing at all to do with sound quality.

as long as your head unit or amp is capable of driving the lowest impedance speakers you have, it will be fine... you may have front to rear balance issues, but you can probably adjust that on the HU.

speaker impedance has nothing at all to do with sound quality.

as long as your head unit or amp is capable of driving the lowest impedance speakers you have, it will be fine... you may have front to rear balance issues, but you can probably adjust that on the HU.

What he said. There is absolutely no correlation between speaker impedance and sound quality. Your main concern is whether or not your amplification source is compatible.

Sent from my HTC Awesome using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
I have been reading that 2 ohms speakers are not the best for sound quality in a vehicle.

I have a pair of JBL GTO 927 6x9 speakers in the rear of my regal, and the factory component speakers in the doors ,which are a different impedance. Does it hurt to have

different ohmed speakers in the vehicle? I am going to purchase a new HU soon, should

I got with strictly 4 ohm speakers. Also does anyone know what the ohm rating is for my

stock door speakers? They are the separate tweeter and woofer type.

Thanks

Aaaahem,

I noticed a few of you are saying that impedence has nothing to do with sound quality. This is both true and not true. We must remember that impedence is the level of resistance against the output of the headunit. With that said, this does affect sound quality as far as volume, bass, and treble response. The higher the impedence, or ohms, the less of all those you're going to get, or, do we all forget the reason we replace those horrible Delco 10 ohm speakers that were put into most GM vehicles after 1995?

Moving on... Now you have to kind of look at this like a floodgate. The lower the impedence, or ohms, the more open that floodgate is. Now look at your head unit as the source driving the flow of the water. Now, the volume control in the head unit is basically floodgate control because it is a variable resistor with variable ohms. Here's the thing, you should have a head unit that basically can have a full volume (or lowest impedence) of 2 ohms or lower to properly drive those 2 ohm speakers. Now, as far as sound quality, well, with the floodgate being very open on a 2 ohm set of speakers, you may expect some distortion, or, over flooding so to speak, depending on the head unit. If the head unit has above the rating of 2 ohms, it is nothing to seriously worry about. Just note that it will not have the full sound output capability level, or, water flow, that those speakers are capable of which, in some cases, is not a bad thing.

I hope this helps, I know it made me thirsty, lol,

Starflare5.

I am sure there is a committee of know-it-alls who will have the best solution for the masses and find a way to rewrite history. either that or one asshole corporate monopoly will hold everyone hostage and make them buy their evil patented technology.

oh shit! too late, JL patented the RIPS technology like ten years ago. I guess all their amps are capable of regulating the impedence when they deliver it for maximum output regardless of the ohms.

good news is everyone here is correct in what they are saying, with Starflare5 having the most complete answer.

forgot to throw in my .02 cents!

I had a choice between a 2 and 4 ohm VC for my Boston SPG555 which is a neodymium top of the line for Boston, and I chose a 2 ohm coil because I wasn't running a JL amp, I only had a old Cadence 1200 w/1 ohm mono amp. the Boston is a 1000 watt sub that in my car only sees around 600 good watts probably since Boston didn't offer the SPG555 with 1 ohm coil. I figured even underpowered it would sound great and even though the motor can be replaced, I would rather underpower it than over power it and eventually blow it. also I can add another of the same woofer if I please and still not need another amp. turns out it is perfectly satisfying amount of bass with very little fatigue on the eardrums so adding another will not be necessary.