How to fill the pump motor? 1991

bender01

Ive searched a lot and people talk about a reservoir for the top motor. I have a 91 and I cant find it. I found the pump under the trunk mat behind the rear passenger seat, but unless I undo the lines its not coming out. It doesnt seem to have a place to fill anyway.

Thanks for any help.

I just replaced my pump a couple days ago.

0530010950.jpg

Here is where the pump is. I think you already knew that. On the top there should be a white plug that you put an allen wrench into and screw off. Or maybe take a flat head screw driver and pop it off. I filled my pump up with trans fluid.

http://store.convertibleparts.com/9195cutpmpmtr.html

This is what mine looks like. With gm parts stickers on it. See the bolt on the end? Its 3 sided. there is a black rubber plug the size of a pencil you can just bareley see also. I can only tip it up a little without undoing the fittings. Doesnt sound like anything ive searched up. Do you fill it in the pencil size hole? Thanks

I have never seen a pump like that before. Your guess is good as mine. Take a look from the small hole and if you see fluid then add some from that spot.

Well the top went up tonite ok . I just pushed the button for a few seconds at a time. rested a second or two and away it went up. The problem seems to exist especially after leaving it down for a few days at a time. Im going to hope for a few more responses. Maybe its not low oil related.The previous one owner told me that I would have to do this and it was a PITA. Im sure he had someone else do it. Whatever happens, when its fixed Ill post what it was.

Thanks

Here it is. The plug just pulled out. I put at least 6oz of the dexcron atf it said to use. Im not sure it was full and I didnt want to overfill. The top now goes up quite differently than it ever has. One nice slow motion. Do have to wonder where the old fluid went.

post-4735-143689069556_thumb.jpg

post-4735-14368906956_thumb.jpg

The odds are good you'll be finding it soon, now that it's full.

Most likely suspects are the hose fittings on the hydraulic rams, or the rams themselves leak. Or, the previous owner never filled the thing properly.

Not sure! I believe the are all slow compared to a new BMW or something. Mine was not real slow down but hard going up. It was jerky on the way up. go a little fall back a little go some more and on and on. It was real easy with my handy oil pump to add fluid. I didnt have any fill to line or add line so I guessed on the low side..Yours might be right on top like 94 olds verts pic.

Luminapower92. You seem to have been here awhile! I searched pretty hard to come up with this fix (temporary or not). If your not joking about your post it might be a good sticky for the this section! Not my post, but a FAQ sort of thing. Ive seen a 94 local for 3-4 years and its top never comes down. If I see them at the grocery store I would ask them whats up with the top!