Running wiring harness in 89 GP

ScoobyDoo82

Alright well I have my radio (JVC KDR600), and extended wiring harness to put in my GP. It does have the 3-piece radio, the radio itself, cassette player next to it, and the amp inside the dash... what I was wondering was how to run the wiring harness from the amp wiring harness to the radio dock... is there cutting/drilling involved, and if so does anybody have a picture of their process?

You need to run the harness to the tuner above the passenger kickpanel. No drilling or cutting should be involved.

I know... behind the glovebox is the tuner/amp... I gotta unhook it and plug in the aftermarket harness... but how do I feed the harness into the radio dock... is there an opening somewhere that I didnt notice?

Yea im pretty sure you can reach right up in there. But IIRC i cut alot of that plastic behind the radio out to make it easier to fit the aftermarket radio anyway.

Well I got the radio in but I did need to break some of the plastic behind the radio to run the harness. Only thing is now to figure out a way to properly mount it, I have it just sitting in there... I was gonna get a 91-93 radio bezel but the wiring harness for the hvac is in the way, it wont allow the radio to slide all the way back. I'll figure something out though...

i had to mod the HVAC plug to fit a larger radio into a lumina... I simply snipped a connector off of one in the junkyard and spliced it to the end of the HVAC unit's wires to give me about 4 more inches thus allowing me clearance...

i had to mod the HVAC plug to fit a larger radio into a lumina... I simply snipped a connector off of one in the junkyard and spliced it to the end of the HVAC unit's wires to give me about 4 more inches thus allowing me clearance...

The HVAC wiring harness is actually whats holding my radio snug in the dash :P

• 4 months later...

Hahahaha I remember when i had to do this, I ran the wires through the right side of the radio hole to the amp above the glove box. there should be holes from the old radio peices to atttach the new dash kit to the car. cut that plastic seperator down the middle. I had to cut out some plastic behind the old radio peices in order for the new deck to fit back there. its gay i remember that.