Replacing Quarter Glass 95 GTP

jamesivey24

Did a search, but only found a couple threads on some 1st gen stuff, and mostly convertible threads.

It's not the easiest job to do.

It will require some patience as you have to cut them out. You need to remove the interior trim panel to get at the urethane.

You will need a very sharp extendable exacto knife/box cutter. Do NOT use a cutting wire. From the inside you slowly cut into the urethane all around the molding. But be careful, as there are placement clips buried in the glue just barely visible that are no longer available so don't ruin them. Stay close to the steel framing and work slowly. The surround for the glass is a urethane molding as well so try not to cut into it. Once you've got them out you can clean up the remainder of the glue on the body's outside recess that the pane sits into as well as the molding around the pane. I went thru this procedure some years back when I had my car refinished. Go slowly!

Edited by 55trucker

This^. Except that it won't be the end of the world if you cut those retaining clips (I accidently did this on my Lumina and Monte Carlo) They're there as a convenience during assembly from the factory as well as holding the glass in the right place, but upon glueing it back in, as long as you position it correctly, it will be just fine.

so the deal is i have a parts car that im removing all the parts that i want to keep, basically scrapping it out and keeping the parts for my daily driver. and currently it has a broken quarter glass thats been held together by the tint for several months.

so in theory if all goes well, upon reinstallation, how much of the old material on the glass should i remove? and vice versa.. should i take all of the old material off of the car?

thanks!

If one has never seen an unmolested rear quarter pane you need to see that the pane is embedded in the urethane and the glass itself can't be removed. So when you cut out the quarter glass you have to be careful not to cut thru the frame itself as you go into the urethane glue. You'll see the glue overflow from the inside where it has been squeezed when the pane was installed into the body opening. After you have the glass out you'll also see that the urethane surround for the glass is squared off all around the edges where it presses up against the body. When you apply the urethane adhesive to reinstall do so liberally and then press firmly back into position around the edge of the glass and you'll probably need to hold it there for curing sake until it doesn't move on it's own. Remove the excess adhesive after the glass is repositioned into the body. And yes, remove all of the old adhesive from the body and from the glass molding.

Edited by 55trucker

shall i also assume that the outside "seal" is part of the glass as well and the entire deal comes out as a unit when the urethane is released?

This is true. The black surround that you see from the outside encases the entire piece of glass from all sides.