Stereo in my 98 lumi LTZ

Firen81

Hey, I've been wanting to put in an aftermarket deck into my car, with keeping the factory radio, in its stock location. I've been wanting to put a 2DIN in the cd rack below the deck, so i was wondering if i have to make the plastic, or is there a deck install kit available to do so?

So you want to keep the stock radio but want to add a 2-din right below it? Kinda redundant isn't it? Ya, you'll have to do some fabricating to get a 2-din radio anywhere in the lumina or monte carlo.

yeah, well, i am putting a cover on it for when it sits, so it looks like I have a stock radio. high theft area around where I live. Also, i really dont wanna cut open my dash, so the cd pocket is the only place that may be big enough.

Gotcha. Ya, I can see where you're coming from about being discreet with having valuables in your car like that. My little 1-din Sony I have in my money has a detachable faceplate, so I just yank it off and set it under the seat or in the door pocket (which is out of view with doors closed). Works for me. But stealthy is cool too.

Only problem with that, is most thieves know that the vast majority of people leave the faceplate in the car anyway just like that. Besides, faceplates can easily be replaced on most stereos. I dunno if I'd even bother throwing a nice headunit in, if theft is so bad you'd have to hide it.

• 3 months later...

its not a terrible amount of theft, its just a precaution. Im also the person who is going to be shadow mounting my ENTIRE system, including scrounging up some factory trunk carpet to hide subs and amps.

btw, changed my mind on the deck I'm putting in, got my hands on an alpine CDA-9886 1DIN, so it'll be much easier. Just gotta get a steering wheel control module, and I'll be happy.

Around here people like to break into cars and just steal the faceplates. They cost damn near as much as the radios. I know for my POS Sony it costs MORE to get a new faceplate on eBay than it does to go to the local outlet and buy a refurb'd one (the whole radio)

what's DIN?

Running off what Andrei said, it's a standard used to describe head unit height. A single DIN HU complies to DIN standards. If it's the size of 2 stacked together, it's double DIN. A lot of older cars ran 1.5 DIN from the factory, hence the need for dash kits. You can find 1.5's if you look, but they're generally either expensive and/or sucky.

yeah, I searched high and low, couldn't find 1.5 for the life of me, so I settled. Once i got it in, I was very happy (insert thats what she said here). Best kits actually has a decent kit for it, just required a little drilling out for the mounting holes. gotta do the other one (really wanted to get it back together, so i kinda rushed a few things) and I am decently happy with the fit. Ran the iPod cable into my Glove Compartment and I am probably happier than a fat kid in an all you can eat buffet. Never the less, I still wish companies would either: a) standardize to make either 1DIN or 2DIN decks in cars as factory equipment - oh wait, happened. B) I wish companies such as ALPINE, Pioneer, Sony and the like made 1.5DIN decks. Wonder if all the W-Body lovers banded together to get companies to make good 1.5DINs, we'd get it?

yeah, I searched high and low, couldn't find 1.5 for the life of me, so I settled. Once i got it in, I was very happy (insert thats what she said here). Best kits actually has a decent kit for it, just required a little drilling out for the mounting holes. gotta do the other one (really wanted to get it back together, so i kinda rushed a few things) and I am decently happy with the fit. Ran the iPod cable into my Glove Compartment and I am probably happier than a fat kid in an all you can eat buffet. Never the less, I still wish companies would either: a) standardize to make either 1DIN or 2DIN decks in cars as factory equipment - oh wait, happened. B) I wish companies such as ALPINE, Pioneer, Sony and the like made 1.5DIN decks. Wonder if all the W-Body lovers banded together to get companies to make good 1.5DINs, we'd get it?

IIRC, only certain model w-bodies used 1.5 din head units. I know some chryslers use them too. Most people just get a dash kit for them. My 95 Regal for example accepts a double din head unit, as well as any w-bodies newer than it.

I am glad you got it it work though. Have any pictures? :thumbsup:

I will be getting some pics up eventually, just gotta address a fitment issue.....damn dash kits, they are always so, universal. gave up on the idea of hiding the deck, I'll just hide the rest. gotta find a place to fit a KTP-445 somewhere, then get some speakers. Gotta shave a bit of plastic of one of the brackets to make the deck sit a little bit more to the left. Que the removal music, out comes the dash piece again:roll:. oh well, could have been worse, could have been my friends Fire-chicken. that was hell to get that system working. its so retarded.. the system he had in it before from factory wasn't even supposed to be available. It was special order from the dealer, and had a screwed up harness......apparently, GM did some goofy things from the factory to those damn '98 birds. but oh well, the only thing that matters is I still smoke his ass every time we race at the track:)

and as a side note, there's actually a decent amount of W-Bodies, and GMs for that matter that have 1.5DIN decks. about 94/95ish to 99 GMs, as well as a couple F-Bodies until they finished in 2002. I'm just happy there's no C2R-GM4 in my future. thank you GM for not being retarded with my car