Smoked Tail Lights....

mhildebrand

Ive been looking for a few weeks on Google, and have not been able to locate any smoked tail lights for my olds. Just wondering if anyone has a good site to find some. Also I had the thought of moding the headlight assembly with a piece of curved, smoked plexi to match the curve of the hood/bumper to give the front end a more rounded look. I havent been able to fid any of these either.... Any ideas?

I doubt there'd be any tail lights made for your Olds, so you'd have to alter your originals. Try some Lamin-x film, it's essentially tint for lights.

The headlights could be done with a sheet of plexi cut to size and formed to the curve.

IMG_2669.jpg

IMG_2665.jpg

As for the headlights, yeah, no one makes anything. The plexi glass idea is about the best you'll be able to come up with. I thought about doing it on mine but I liked what I ended up with better

IMG_2673.jpg

I was thinking of some VHT niteshades.. Its a spray on tint so i can spray on coats till i have the desired darkness, i just wanted some pre smoked ones incase i would have t change them out quick for any reason, but i have one extra light assembly already, so ill just buy the otherside... And with the headlights and plexi, im still thinking on that one, but will prollydo the same with the VHT and only one or 2 coats to not attract any unwanted police attention.

Were your tails tinted? or made pre smoked? Im assuming you tinted them as with the frot turn/side markers. I like the look you get from them being darkened.. Im also planning on tinting the reverse lights, or just going all out and paintig them all black to match the surrounding inclosure of the lights. I dont really like the reflective silver inside the black..

I know what you mean on the reverse lights.... I may just go with one coat one them just to dull them a lil bit n then through in some LED conversions to make them nice and bright when they are needed.

Yea, mines black with 'Oldsmobile' in the center of it. Thats why im thinking of tinting it. Ive seen a few of the bars with out the oldsmobile in the center, if i could find me one of those i think that would make it look better too..

Yea mine is black, thats why i was thinking of doing it. Ive seen some of the brs that dont have the 'Oldmobile' in the centers, if i could find me one of those, i think it would make it look even better along the back.

I got your pm, but figured i would reply here in case anyone else searches in the future.

I custom made my headlight covers from cut plexi glass and tinted them with window tint. The tails/reverse bar were tinted using lots of very thin coats of niteshades. If I were to do the tails again I would have a body shop tint them professionally.

Ok, Thanks for the responses. ive decided to go ahead and do the front turnsignals and sidemarkers, as well as reverse bar and tail lights all with niteshades.. Ive got a spare tailligh that has a small crack in it that im gunna experiment with to get the darkness that im looking for.

Yea, my reverse bar is black thats why i was thinking of tinting that out... I als got the idea that while i have it off the car that i may attempt to through some red LEDs in each side and wire them to the tails so tey act as turn signals/brake lights.. I think that should really set the back end off at night and add a nice level to the custom part.

• 3 weeks later...

I`ve done the same for my CS and i got some brighter bulbs for the tail lights and reverse lights. It looks a little funny with my greenish color paint but i plan on going to straight primer on account of some body damage. With VHT ive had my tailites fade after a few months so ive had to respray them ever so often.

This past weekend i tinted all except my headlights and rear side markers. I used VHT. It worked out well with the only problem being my inside front turnsignals... When i sprayed them, the VHT cracked and spit open so i had to remove it and try again where it did the same thing.. So i clear-coated them and then put on the VHT and then more clear. Im happy with the results.

Heres the pics i have.. All taken with phone, i hadent tinted the inside front turn signal yet in these, so thats why its abit brighter. 3 coats of Niteshades and 6 coats of clear on everything. wet sanding inbetween Niteshades and clear.

post-5966-143689062953_thumb.jpg

post-5966-143689062969_thumb.jpg

post-5966-143689062984_thumb.jpg

post-5966-143689062996_thumb.jpg

post-5966-143689063008_thumb.jpg

post-5966-143689063021_thumb.jpg

post-5966-143689063033_thumb.jpg

post-5966-143689063049_thumb.jpg

post-5966-143689063063_thumb.jpg

post-5966-143689063079_thumb.jpg

I agree... only have a few fish eyes that popped up in the first coats of clear on passenger tail light... Other then that i dont have any other paint flaws with them.

Yea i kno. Only $18 fo it. Thats been in there about 4 years. I got an oldsmobile one to replace it with, just waiting on the time... same size and price.