06 Monte Defroster Issue

88red4cyl

The rear defroster on my wifes 06 Monte Carlo decided that it was going to quit working. We don't use the backseat for anything other than setting her purse in when we go somewhere, but I climbed back there anyway to check the connections. The wires look ok, and the connector is solid to the grid.. When you press the defrost button, the light pops on and stays on for its alloted cycle, and turns off again, but the grid never even gets warm to the touch... Where should I start looking first?

Thanks guys, I will check it out tomorrow. I just assumed that if it was a fuse issue the light wouldn't illuminate on the button... Guess we'll find out, if I can find where the fuse box is in this car.. :lol:

To add: the light will almost always light up as it gets power/ illumination independently; and as it just a command/ request to the BCM. There is (should be) a dedicated fuse and relay just for the power for the rear defrost.

• 2 weeks later...

My 04 Monte Carlo has the connector pulled off the grid. The only thing that still defrosts is the driver's side mirror. I think the wiring routes through the driver's side mirror then to the back window and then the passenger's side mirror. This is just based on my cars operation with a disconnected grid:).

Has anyone worked on the driver's door for any reason? Maybe they left something in there unplugged, if that is how this system really works..

• 9 months later...

Bumping this old thread since I finally got around to fixing it today.. Which fuse is for the rear defrost? The only thing labeled rear defogger in either fuse box is a single relay.. Since thats something I'm apparently going to have to get from the dealer (auto zone says its a not available part in their system) I was hoping to try this fuse first.

I`m having the same issue in my 94 cutlass, sometimes the button wont engage the system and i cannot find the wiring diagram in the haynes book. Im sure its a fuse or relay but which one?

Do you have a meter available? If you do, put one the negative to ground and touch the positive to each line on the grid. You should have battery voltage on one end and close to 0 volts on the other.

If you don't, you have a bad grid and the window needs repaired/replaced. I just went through this on a sable. The ground side of the grid had a bad connection at the window, and the meter would show 12v across the entire grid.

Do you have a meter available? If you do, put one the negative to ground and touch the positive to each line on the grid. You should have battery voltage on one end and close to 0 volts on the other.

If you don't, you have a bad grid and the window needs repaired/replaced. I just went through this on a sable. The ground side of the grid had a bad connection at the window, and the meter would show 12v across the entire grid.

I have no power to the grid whatsoever.. So either a fuse/relay is bad, or there's a break in the wiring somewhere... Since I can't find a fuse anywhere that is marked for the rear defog, I guess I'm just going to have to go to the GM dealer and see if they can get me the relay I need...