POssible bad water pump?

godofthunder

Ok, i dont know if yall remember...but i had that coolant problem last week, right? Well, it still is low, after filling it like 3 times.

Well, when leaving work, i noticed that my car pissed all over the driveway. Smelt it...and that gawdam coolant smell.

So, pop the hood. The only odd thing I could see (the engines kinda dirty anways), is that there is this liitle hose, about 6" if extended, and only a centameter in diamater. Its bent ina weird possition..and goes into the Water pump. Well, that was wet. And smelt like cooant. It had driped some down too.

What im thinking (and what my dad/mechanic says) is that it could be just that hose, or the pump. Hes going to check it tommrow. So, while I thoght i solved the problem...im hoping this is actually it. Rather than a gasket somehwere.

Any ideas? I dont really have a pic of my engine bay, but if i can find one of a 3100 on my comp...ill point out the hose.

Jon

I don't have any good pics online, but there's two hoses coming out of the water pump that I know of. A large rubber hose that comes out the bottom of the pump, and then a steel bypass line that comes out of the top of the pump. It has a rubber line that Tees off of it too. So where is the fluid leaking from? The upper hose or the lower hose? If it's the upper line, check to make sure that the gasket between the steel line and the engine cover is good. That's where mine was leaking...and it sure poured out once the gasket let go. :oops:

leak.jpg

That is whatI called the "wet" hose earlier.While im not 100% under the hood...am i correct that thats going into the water pump? I wouldnt mind if its just the hose, i just hope its the hose or the pump, rather than like the intake gaskets that cuttlassdude96 mentiuoned last week

Also...I give credit ismellrealbad for the pic. Sorry I didnt ask beforehand...i was in a rush to get this up. Its your bay, from the pic you posted a while back when i was asking about Cruis control.

Jon

Thats fine. i think it does goto the water pump.........and i just had to have my lower intake gasket replaced a few weeks ago $550 :cry: im $400 in the hole with my parents now because of that shit, and now other stuff is wrong with my car :evil:

i think that goes to the water pump.

i know the hard line at the bottom of the pic that runs across the front of the motor goes from water pump to the TB. at least in mine it does.

there is a gasket on the water pump side of that hard line. cost about 2 bux for one. a few minutes to replace. there is a chance that a crack developed at the joint of base to line. someone else posted that that hard line was about 70 bux.

here are a few pics of my bay as it sits now

http://www.dbfanatics.com/forum/photo_album_view.asp?cname=underhood&mid=16&cid=248

repairing my coolant leak. the hard way.

but by looking at the broken fitting out in the open. i may not have gotten it out soon.

so i bit the bullet and asked some questions. pulled out the haynes and dove in.

longer than expected, but a great learning experience i think.

Monty

i think that goes to the water pump.

i know the hard line at the bottom of the pic that runs across the front of the motor goes from water pump to the TB. at least in mine it does.

there is a gasket on the water pump side of that hard line. cost about 2 bux for one. a few minutes to replace. there is a chance that a crack developed at the joint of base to line. someone else posted that that hard line was about 70 bux.

here are a few pics of my bay as it sits now

http://www.dbfanatics.com/forum/photo_album_view.asp?cname=underhood&mid=16&cid=248

repairing my coolant leak. the hard way.

but by looking at the broken fitting out in the open. i may not have gotten it out soon.

so i bit the bullet and asked some questions. pulled out the haynes and dove in.

longer than expected, but a great learning experience i think.

Monty

I'd cry if i saw my car like that! But i will see it like that this winter! time for a polished plenum, Not to hijack the thred but does anyone know how much new injectors are? Thanks Jay

leak.jpg

That is whatI called the "wet" hose earlier.While im not 100% under the hood...am i correct that thats going into the water pump? I wouldnt mind if its just the hose, i just hope its the hose or the pump, rather than like the intake gaskets that cuttlassdude96 mentiuoned last week

Also...I give credit ismellrealbad for the pic. Sorry I didnt ask beforehand...i was in a rush to get this up. Its your bay, from the pic you posted a while back when i was asking about Cruis control.

Jon

Yeah, that goes right to the top of the water pump

ihttp://photo.starblvd.net/musthavemuzk/2-3-5-1048161789?m=0&pg=1&ro=2&co=4

there it is! I found it. for the past month and a half i finaly found it. DAMN! you have had it all this time hahaha.

im talking about the white and blue Intel camera ontop of the fishing luer box in the very bottom of the picture. Its my only dig cam and its been gone for some time now.. cant find it and none of my family members clam to have seen it. That and my USB pen drive.. grr that thing was expensive. Intel Cam 100bux.. pendrive 50bux.. both GONE... hmm

that hose thats circled is mainly wet towards the top. But, i also noticed that the water pump itself it wet, so something was dripping on it, or what not.

I was/am almost tempted to do it myself. Im going to take it to dad today to actually find out what the problem is. And...if its an easy fix (like hose, gasket, whatever), ill do it. But if i need a new pump or gaskets, i think i may just have him do it.

Yeah, sucks to see the eginge like that. Im glad that mine (knock on wood) is only caus of this (pump and hoses). When I got the car at 109k miles (125 now), no tune up had been done. I had new radiator hoses put on, but I dont think that one was replaced.

If it had been more (as in yours, tearing it appart), i almost thought of selling. but if it did come to that, id actually buy a beater (prob a cheap lumina or CS arround here) to get me arround, while the my CS was sitting arround. My dad has no time to do something like that for free....so it would be me with a friend or something, and dad over on the weekend to fix it over a few weeks.

Oh well, im going to him arround 11 this morning, so ill post and let yal know whats up

jon

You have similar symptoms to the symptoms I had on my Cougar when the water pump went out. So I think you're on the right track. Do not ignore this problem. I lost my first car-love because I neglected to fix it in a timely manner.

oh whoooweee...the babys not gonna die! She just has a slight temperature :) (well, not really).

After today, i have to make a quick run down here (early in morn, cool, and no sitting arround). After that, shes coming back and being parked for the day. Then sat, just a 5 min drive to work. And she doesnt get drivven on sundays. Monday to the shop for it all.

She never runs hot, or that warm really. So, i think ill be fine till monday. I plan to top off tommrow the coolant tommrow, just to be safe.

Well, off to the shop...ill brb

jon

$4 fix.

Radiator cap :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dad did a pressure test...we loaded the cooant system to 10PSI over its when the vavle opens at 16PSI. It sat for 5 minutes (and quite hot durring that tim etoo). When done, nothing lost.

Then he did the cap...it wouldnt even start holding a vacume.So, ran to NAPA, got it, and put it on this evening. and guess what!!! I still have cooalant! Thanks yall.

jon

way cool

thanx for getting back to us with the fix.

that way someone who uses the search will see what may fix their problem.

as for the intel camera. i paid 125 for mine new. loved that camera, but i had outgrown it. so i stepped way up to my fuji finepix 3800 last christmas.

Monty

It WAS the water pump, actually.

There are these little holes (well, not holes yet) that wear out faster than the rest of the body. This is so that when the thing starts to go bad...it will break one of these holes, and start leaking, rather than building up presure and explodiing.

One had broke. Nothing bad, just needed to replace the pump. For some reason, the car also seems to run even cooler (it never ran warm, but is cooler now), and also seems to be quieter.

Jon

PS - I also love my car again. I drove my dads 86 Silverado, side pipes under the drivers seat, etc....and while it was Nice and loud...it was slow. Booty loads of tourqe, no HP. Got back in the CS today....was perfect. My dad toped off all my tires, cleaned up the bay some, and i think did an idle relarn or something...i cant even hear her on now

I went a whole day trying to figure out why coolant was flying off the belt up into my face.

A gasket under the metal "T" on the top of the pump housing? Isn't that what make-a-gasket is for? :roll: I removed that thing while changing the pump Monday morning :bash: But there is a metal collar inside of it so it isn't leaking.

The only problem is after replacing the pump is it's now NOISY after the engine warms up. There seems to be a small amount of play in the pulley now -- I don't know whether it's the bolts in the pulley or the pump.

And my gas station charged me 9.99 + tax for a gallon of antifreeze.

it could be the pump. Like i said...while my car wasnt loud...its quiter now for some reason. If I had done it myself, I woulda just put a new pump on anyways.

It was only like $35 for a new one from NAPA