String of symptoms - need diagnosis.

grandprix104

Ok here is what my car is doing to me now.

Runs 15-20 deg hot 50-60 on hills or any moderate accelleration. (T-stat replaced and coolant flushed)

Runs rough. Engine vibration felt through steering wheel and pedals

BAD Popping/backfiring from exhaust when revving in nuetral

Grey Somoke from exaust when accellerating/revving

My Diagnosis (after talking to mechanics and co-workwers) is the catalitic converter or muffler is clogged. prob the cat.

What do you think??

Another problem

whining/whirring rattling nois coming from the LEFT side of the engine. It sounds like a pump bad or something belt driven. Dont have a clue.

Thanks guys you kick ass!

but from the LEFT side of the engine?!?!

what is over there taht could make that noise?

I didnt know if you meant left like looking at it or looking from behind it.

ok a question for anyone with a whineing

my car started thin last june one the way back from missouri i thought it was a tranny or power steering pump.

i went out one morning to warm the car up before i went to school and desided to turn my a/c off and the whining went away!

the question is

do you guys run your a/c or heat alot?

if the heat or a/c is on turn it off and listen to see if the whining goes away you can do this when you are driving too

thats all i can suggest it is just what i have found out about y whining noise.

i hope this helps!

good luck

ok so i finnally got around to replacing my fuel filter (after a reccomendation from mechanic) and it smoothed out the idle barely and i have a tiny bit more power. didnt do jack for the overheating problem.

(thats what he said it MIGHT help) So today im going in for a full system diagnosis. Since you cant just pull the codes on this damn thing: its not OBD II but you cant do the paperclip trick :(

Ill post the results when i get them.

Im also doing a Prestone Radiator Clean today. See if i can get the deposits out of the radiator from the previous moron using tap water in the rad. instead of distilled.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!

If it turns out to be the Catalitic converter im going to put in the dual exaust too for $100 more