Coils, wires, etc

Leadfoot

OK, It is time for me to replace coil packs, wires, plugs, O2 sensor, etc on my 94 CS 3100. I was pulling up parts to determine what to get and had a few questions.

I had intended on using all AC Delco parts. When looking apparently there are 2 coild packs listed. One is the D555 and the other is E530C. Does anyone know the difference? Is one an upgrade?

I have also noticed that Accel makes "high performance" coils that are supposed to be stronger (45k volts). Is there any benefit to going with these? How is the quality?

I just plan on using Delco wires because they have always been good quality and served me well unless someone has a really compelling reason I should consider another type or brand.

not sure what the difference is without looking at the ACD catalog, but it looks like the E one has ribs on the top...I'd probably just stick with D555. I don't think it really matters, though. The Accel ones aren't worth it really. They might give you a little better spark but it's not really going to make a difference. Biggest advantage to Accel or MSD is you can have yellow or red instead of black if you're into that. Why are you replacing the coil packs? Unless something is wrong with them, they don't need replaced.

Oh, they are bad. I let someone work on my car once (long time ago, long story) and they screwed some things up. One of them I recently discovered was that they must have left my coild packs out for a bit and let them get wet. The posts are corroded and rusty. I tried cleaning them for quite a while when it started to misfire occasionally 2 weeks ago and that only helped for a few days. It's just time to replace them and do a tune up.

Ok, I wanted to follow up on this. The D555 are actual AC Delco. The E530C are made by another manufacturer, but meet AC Delco minimum quality specs. The guy at AC Delco said they are slightly lower quality though. Based on this I went with the D555's.

My buddy is the shop foreman at 4 Wheel Parts and he said those Accel coils almost all go bad before they are a year old. That was all I needed to hear. The AC Delco stuff on my Cutlass would still by fine if it weren't for this idiot who screwed them up. I am not trading that kind of quality for stuff that cannot last a year.