Best way to strip down a bumper cover?

Psych0matt

So I have that TGP bumper cover that I'd like to use, but it's got two layers of gold paint that's all bubbly and flaking off because whoever painted it did exactly zero prep work. What is a good way to start taking that down so that I can get it repainted eventually and use it on my GTP? It's cold and this could be a good project :lol:

No one does any body work? I don't want to mess it up by blasting it or something, but sanding it by hand will take FOR EV ERRRR! Maybe I'll call a few body places or see if anyone knows anyone

Powerwash all that you can since you mention its practically just flaking off. Then 320 on a DA. Try to keep the DA flat, otherwise you will dig grooves. The rest that you can't get with a DA or powerwashing, you will have to do by hand. You could use a commercial/ industrial stripper, but it's messy and most aren't made to be used on plastics/ urethane bumpers. Good luck!

I stripped my rear bumper myself then took it in for paint. I wet sanded the whole thing. It did take a look of work, but it does get that paint off. SLOWLY. If it was summer time this wouldn't be an issue, but it being winter you might not want to do that.

I stripped my rear bumper myself then took it in for paint. I wet sanded the whole thing. It did take a look of work, but it does get that paint off. SLOWLY. If it was summer time this wouldn't be an issue, but it being winter you might not want to do that.

Unnecessary to wet-sand to take paint off. Waste of time. Much quicker to just DA with coarser grit.

Oh that's right. Now I remember. Just go have it sand blasted/media blasted.

There won't be much bumper left. Even powder/ soda blasting will eat through a bumper rather quickly.

Brake fluid sounds like a good idea for the model cars as parts are just too damn small to get at all the nooks and crannies, but I sure as heck wouldn't waste the time doing it to a full size car part. It's not like they're [TGP] an intricately designed bumper. Just sand with 320 and don't make waves.

I would imagine that brake fluid would soak into the pores of a plastic bumper cover. I definately wouldnt recommend that but I cant say for sure what would happen because I have NEVER seen anyone use brake fluid to strip paint before refinishing. I think you would end up having fish-eyes galore with that method.

I would imagine that brake fluid would soak into the pores of a plastic bumper cover. I definately wouldnt recommend that but I cant say for sure what would happen because I have NEVER seen anyone use brake fluid to strip paint before refinishing. I think you would end up having fish-eyes galore with that method.

Some people do some pretty ghetto ass things.

http://www.handsontools.com/SEM-77713-XXX-Bumper-Stripper-16-oz-Aerosol_p_11199.html

Ive used this, worked well for me. Also if its flaking that bad be sure to try compressed air at about 90 psi, might take a lot of it off!

Meh, not end thread. SEM has some good aerosol products, but I've never heard of that being used. Seems kinda cheesy

Wrong. Its very similar to aircraft stripper except formulated for plastic. if youve ever used either.. you know they are the farthest thing from cheesy.

and dammit woll smoth.. beat me to it.

anyhow op, this works. give it a shot

I think im gonna order a few cans! You said you've used it before? How did you do it/how did it work?

spray it on, within a few min. it starts bubbling the paint up. you then take a putty knife and strip it off. use compressed air for the crevices! (Note this was a while ago, but i remember it being as simple as that) Do it in a well ventalated place, they advertise it as "low odor" but it gave me a bit of a headache. I might be sensative though.