Clear Coat Repair

radray64

My clear coat is chipping off the front fender... Do I just start sanding lightly?

making sure not to break though the paint though.......its a white 93 GP...

What grit to start with too??:shrug:

If the clear coat has chipped off, there is none left. Don't do anything short of getting it repainted or it will look worse. I am a painter at a PPG and ICAR certified body shop. About a dozen other people might post in here about some sweet way of making it look half-assed. Don't. If it's really, REALLY small area, just touch it up with the touch up paint you can get in the little bottles. Otherwise, you will have to redo the fender, whether it be some half-ass rattle-can job, or taking it to a actual body shop. Those are really your only options.

depends on if the base coat is gone or not. looking at my car, since it's clear recently failed I am guessing I can scrub off the clear that is flaking with a 3m pad and shoot it with some automotive clear through my paint gun. if it looks bad still, I guess I will go get some base coat mixed up and redo the top of the bumper at least, if not the entire car.

depends on if the base coat is gone or not. looking at my car, since it's clear recently failed I am guessing I can scrub off the clear that is flaking with a 3m pad and shoot it with some automotive clear through my paint gun. if it looks bad still, I guess I will go get some base coat mixed up and redo the top of the bumper at least, if not the entire car.

No.

Once your clearcoat begins to peel, the only sure-fire fix is a repaint. There are quite a few reasons here.

You WILL see the edge of of the old clear under the new clear. Just like clearing over blends and burn-throughs, you will see the outline.

Your basecoat underneath is already contaminated by the environment and will likely lead to a re-peel

UV rays dramatically fade unprotected basecoat and has probably already began to fade the color.

I too paint for a living and do NOT recommend just reclearing the panel. Do it right or dont waste the time.

maybe so, I don't do it for a living. but just got a hydraulic scissor lift for doing it so I can do it much easier now. even though there is nothing easy about that job. there is less bending over now and getting heartburn real bad.

I would probably reach for the DA and sand the entire top of the bumper down. you are right, it was faded to hot pink before it even started peeling, and now that one spot greatly helps ruin the look of the whole car.

• 2 weeks later...

have you done anything to it yet?

I've done it before for just body cladding that comes off easily and it turned out at least much nicer than it was, but I failed miserably trying to do it to bumpers.

• 2 weeks later...

I would experiment with 1500 grit or higher to feather out the border of the clear coat While trying not to break through the paint but if I were you I would still try to get a can of paint that matches your base coat. Once fethered you will need to scuff the rest of the fender and then clear if you don't break through the base.

just went down to the automotive paint supply store and asked for some base coat for my u-tech clear and the guy started asking me if the base coat that the clear peeled off from was in tact.

I was like yeah, there is no scratches. I had actually used an air hose to blow off the remaining flakes that didn't wash off last time I washed the car. the whole top side is exposed base coat and it has been peeling off for months.

he goes, why don't you just re-clear it? I go, well some painters told me it wouldn't work.

why not? he says. this guy is a pro paint finish tech and used to work as a painter. everyone there is. they sell paint and they told me it would be fine if when I put soapy water or prep sol on it and it simulates the clear if it looks ok then I should be able to re-clear after using my 1500 grit da sponge.

so I will be trying this first. I will post a picture of how it turns out.

Hmm. You might actually be alright being as its white. Any other color, especially any kind of metallic and it would not be as nice looking in the end.

Where's "Visitor"? He probably knows what to do...