Best move with trans fluid

jaustinbell

This winter I'm going to make sure to change the ATF and filter in the 2006 Grand Prix. It has 64,000 miles on it now, I'm pretty sure the ATF is original, and it looks alright. Should I just drop the pan, and only replace about half the fluid? Is that a bad idea if I want to put in Dexron 6 synthetic? Otherwise, is it a good idea to unhook the trans cooler lines from the radiator and let one pump the old fluid out while the other sucks new fluid in? Any advice appreciated.

Justinbell the safest thing you can do is follow the factory instructions and just drop the pan and change the filter.

Lots of people will recommend the cooler line flush but there is always a small chance of transmission damage so be warned.

The cooler tube will not suck fresh fluid in. You'll have to pour it down the dipstick tube.

"I" would not waste money on Dex 6 unless the vehicle came with Dex 6 to begin with.

"I" would not waste money changing the fluid with only 64K and 4--5 years on the vehicle; particularly if the fluid still looks reasonably fresh. I bet the owner's manual says it's good for 100K.

GM interval is 60K, not 100K

And even GM says, and just about every other manufacture out there, fluid condition cannot be properly determined by color and smell.

And he should go to Dex 6. Its the proper fluid replacement for all vehicles 2002 and up (once again per GM) and should be used for added benifits on vehicles prior to 2002.

Wish I could post the TSB about this.

GM interval is 60K, not 100K

According to who? Under what conditions?

I downloaded the 2006 Grand Prix owners manual here:

http://www.extendedgmwarranty.com/owners-manual/pontiac/2006-Pontiac-GrandPrix.pdf

Page 432 says that "severe service" interval is 50K; the "normal service" interval is 100K.

And even GM says, and just about every other manufacture out there, fluid condition cannot be properly determined by color and smell.

Technically true. Even so, I'm perfectly comfortable rejecting used fluid that smells like Kippered Snacks; and I have zero interest in changing fluid that's still cherry red and not burnt-smelling. For me, it's the in-between that tries men's souls. Yeah, a person can sample it and send it off for analysis...or just dump and be "safe".

And he should go to Dex 6. Its the proper fluid replacement for all vehicles 2002 and up (once again per GM) and should be used for added benifits on vehicles prior to 2002.

Yup. You're right. According to the GM owner's manual listed above, Dex VI is the appropriate fluid.

Wish I could post the TSB about this.

I'd love to see it. Do you have the number?

Id just do a pan drop. You'll need 7-8 quarts. The OEM gasket is reusable. Install a universal drain plug while you are there to make future fluid changes a much less messy experience.

And it looks like Dex6 is correct for you. AFAIK, you can mix DexIII and DexVI, as long as its in a vehicle that originally called for DexIII. You DONT want to put DexIII in any vehicle that originally called for DexVI.

you can argue with bob about it, But doing i do it about every 30k (once a year or so) in my cars, Its easier to replace the fluid and have a long healthy transmission then to neglect it and have it fail. I had a transmission with 157k miles on it fail. It had been changed once at 100k. i also had a transmission with 274k miles on it shift like new... But like i said i changed the fluid to keep it nice and strong.

Great, thanks guys. Good to know the VI will mix fine with whatever is in there; I will go ahead and do a pan drop and filter change and stick to around a 60k interval.

Dexron VI is what is in there now. 2006 and newer models all received Dexron VI factory fills.

Dexron VI is what is in there now. 2006 and newer models all received Dexron VI factory fills.

On older Dex 3 cars, I use Dex 3 but put in a bottle of Lubeguard. I have heard of using Dex 3 in newer and using the Lubeguard to bring the lube properties up as it does to used Dex 6. I imagine that Dex 6 is very superior to older fluids.

Since you'll have the pan down, do this TSB with the upgraded pan magnet. It also calls for adding a second pan magnet onto the filter. I have a print out of the TSB, it calls for this on the 4t65e 4t65e-hd, 4t45e and I think the 4l60e.

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-front-drives-2005-2010/1362861-4t65e-hd-delayed-engagement-fix.html

Don't chump out on the fluid to save $5. Get a high quality Dexron VI. And get a wix filter.