stereo not working without antenna plugged in?

Psych0matt

So, my cd player that I had in the Blazer I finally decided to put into the sedan so I can plug my phone into it. Keep in mind I threw it in the GTP temporarily for kicks, and in both it worked perfectly (like it should). I put it into the sedan with the same wiring harness, and it just kinda flickered a few lights, and wouldnt power on. I kinda shoved it back in a little and it worked. Moved it again and it didn't. I figured out that when the antenna end was touching the housing it would work. I wasn't going to plug in the antenna because I don't listen to the radio, but I plugged it in and viola! It now works perfectly. I guess I just don't get why it would do this short of having a bad ground, but the factory deck worked perfectly :dunno: Also, the GTP was being screwy with the new one, but I think that's to do with the wiring harness before I fixed some crappy connections.

Yup it was grounding through the antenna.

Happened to me in my Aurora once, I put in a new stereo (factory one worked fine) and it wouldn't power up without the antenna plugged in. An installer friend of mine said that's pretty common actually.

I almost always run the ground wire to something on the chassis, rather than using the built-in ground on the plug.

Well on the GTP I'm going to anyways. I started her up tonight just to let her run and was playing with the stereo in there, and theres a lot of hum, mostly from which I'm assuming is a bad ground.