2010 Snow Tire Thread!!!

Night Fury

What(if) are you using this winter?

I'm thinking of getting a set for the Comp G. With a good set of snow tires, this thing should be an absolute BEAST in the snow with traction control AND stability control, and of course ABS.

I'm looking at the Bridgestone Blizzak WS70. Its new for this year I believe, has anyone had experiences with the previous generations? I love the way they look and they're cheap enough. They are $99 each. I hear the previous gen had an epic rating somewhere in the 9s

There is also the General Altimax Arctic that caught my eye... They are only $77 each. They represent the cheapest and strangely enough, the best performing of the studdable segment.

quickLook.gif

Lets hear your plans/experiences!

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• xtremerevolution

• Night Fury

• mra32

• BXX

The reason im getting them this winter and havent got them before is that it is my first time commuting in a car since summer 06. And my first time commuting in a car during winter ever. I used to commute on my road bike at all other times. Yes, even in the snow. Riding a fixed gear road bike in the snow is fun. Nothing like getting caught at school in a snow storm and having 6" of snow to ride through all the way home on slick tires skinnier than an inch! I made it the mile back uphill through the city without so much as putting my foot down!

I will be picking up whatever is cheap on craigslist. As far as im concerned, the worst performing snow tire should probably do better than my tires in the snow. I'd even consider regular ole all seasons snow tires compared to what I have. I drove the lumina in the snow with regular all seasons and it was fine. My current tires are HORRID in any amount of snow.

Edited by mra32

Well, the cutlass will be getting put away for winter. However on My Accent I will be using the same tires I have used for years and will continue to use until they are no longer made.

I first bought them under the Dayton name, but Firestone has since bought them out, the design is the same but says firestone on the side.

Firestone Winter Force

I have run Blizzaks and Michelins on past vehicles. The Blizzaks were my choice until I tried the Winterforce. The Michelins I had lasted me all of a month, I sold them a month after putting them on my van and went back to an all season tire. My dad has General Brand All Seasons on His 04 Silverado and he says they are the worst tires he has driven on since the 70s

Was looking at those Firestones too. Tread is super aggressive, Wouldn't mind trying those either; but in testing and reviews, those Generals I mentioned outperformed them, and for cheaper. I really like how those look though.

Where are you getting those prices?

I have not not decided between the General Altimax Arctic or Firestone Winterforce. But I will get one or the other and will get them studded.

I had studded Firestone Winterforce on my 2WD Blazer last year and it was unbelievable. I sold the Blazer, but will put those tires on my old AWD Town & Country.

But I have not decided whether to put the new set of tires on my Regal or drive my convertible as a winter beater. With the newer paint job, custom hood, and everything on the Regal I really want to protect it from the chance of an accident. I would not be so upset if I crashed the Cutlass convertible, but I don't want to freeze my ass off all winter either. I'm probably leaning toward driving the Regal.

My other decision is what wheels to use. I bought 4 15" steel wheels for a Gen 1 on 1/2 price day at the junkyard. So they were $3.25 each. And it would also bring the price of the tires down a little. And I got a set of 1.5 gen Lumina hubcaps for them so I can put a picture of one of the cars in the thread for the mis-matched stock wheels. My chromies on the Regal are peeling enough as it is.

On the other hand if I buy 16" tires they would also fit on the Lincoln Continental that my wife is currently driving.

Let me make sure I have this right: Gen 2 wheels on a gen 1 require a spacer. So gen 1 wheels would fit on a gen 2 with no problems, right?

I wish I could use studded tires, unfortunately they are banned in most of Ontario.

As for the Generals, like I said my dads are all seasons, not actual winter tires, so I can't vouch for their winters.

Seeing as it is likely to come up, I will also give my opinion of all season tires;

They are great for the first season, depending on your winters. I find in Ontario they are fine for the first winter, but by the second or third winter you might as well be on summer tires.

I have Triangle brand all seasons on my DD, we'll see what happens come first snow fall, lol

Edited by CSI_MuNkY

I've had great luck with Avalanche Xtreme tires and Firestone / Dayton Winterforces

Dayton Winterforces on the STS and Firestone Winterforces on the Denali this year

Edited by GOT2B GM

Let me make sure I have this right: Gen 2 wheels on a gen 1 require a spacer. So gen 1 wheels would fit on a gen 2 with no problems, right?

right

Got prices from tirerack,com

Really. Your prices were about $5 lower than mine from their website. Are you looking at 15" or 16"?

Hmmmm....I know some airline web sites will show different users different prices depending on their browsing history.

I live about 2 miles away from their distribution center in South Bend, IN. So a bonus is that I can pick them up and don't have to pay for shipping...but I do have to pay sales tax.

Keep this thread rolling, this is all very informative. I'm going to be buying winter tires this year too. I'll likely have to buy rims for said winter tires because winter tires for my 17's are $50 more than they are for 16's, and $60 more than they are for 15's.

discounttiredirect.com has free shipping on sets of tires. The cheaper ones they have are Falkens and Hankooks. They also do price match and have pretty good deals going on alot of the time.

Anyone know what a set of 1st gen rims *should* cost at a junkyard? The last place I went to wanted $25 per. I looked at him with a blank stare and kept walking. I'm not paying $100 for a set of steelies. I could get Jake's near mint cutty 5 spokes for that much.

steelies around here are $20 with tire. Alloys are $30 with tire. Its rare to find a wheel without a rim in the jy and im not about to try to get the tires off in the jy, but usually the tires themselves are like $12. If they already pulled the wheel and removed the tire they'd probably charge you just as much.

Really. Your prices were about $5 lower than mine from their website. Are you looking at 15" or 16"?

Hmmmm....I know some airline web sites will show different users different prices depending on their browsing history.

I live about 2 miles away from their distribution center in South Bend, IN. So a bonus is that I can pick them up and don't have to pay for shipping...but I do have to pay sales tax.

Wheels from 1995 GP GTP, so 16"

Not sure those are even the wheels I'd go with, but like Andrei said I ain't using the 17" cause its too expensive, plus I'd like two sets. So We'll see. I'd love to get some GP steelies

I'm running a set of Nokian Hakkapelliitta RSi's on my Regal. By far one of the nicest winter tires i have ever driven on. Very smooth and quiet on the highway, yet not to marshmellowy feeling either. Pretty good tread wear. I am going on my 3rd winter with them, and have another 3 good winters left for sure (including this year). Good ice traction, and fantastic snow traction. What I really like about the Nokians is the fact that the tread is siped all the way down past the wear indicator, and the entire tread depth is the same rubber compound. You can run these down right to the wear bars, and they won't lose very much of their winter performace (save for maybe some deep snow traction).

Also, don't discount looking for used tires either. Many times you can find sets that have been used for 1 season with very little wear for a fraction of the original price.

ANd yes buck...if you think W's with all season tires have been beasts in the white stuff...wait until you use a good winter tire. You might not notice the difference if you are already running the winter rubber when the snow hits. Easiest way to see the difference if to drive your car, then jump in a similar car with all seasons...then you will see just how much of a difference there really is.

I got Matt's old Avalanche Xtremes off him while I was out in Canada this weekend for the Regal. Just have to find a set of 16'' rims now....since my Steelies I put on the regal last winter are only 15's. Gotta sell those now.

I'll buy them!!

The 15'' steelies I have now have 205/70/15 studded snows on them (pretty worn...need to be replaced) i was going to get some brand new 215-70-15's put on them to match 225-60-16's for the speedo....but ended up getting the 225-60-16 snows off Matt and bringing them back. It would probably cost quite a bundle to ship the steelies out there with tires... and I dont feel like paying to have them dismounted. I was just going to post them on Craigslist as is.

Well, the cutlass will be getting put away for winter. However on My Accent I will be using the same tires I have used for years and will continue to use until they are no longer made.

I first bought them under the Dayton name, but Firestone has since bought them out, the design is the same but says firestone on the side.

Firestone Winter Force

I have run Blizzaks and Michelins on past vehicles. The Blizzaks were my choice until I tried the Winterforce. The Michelins I had lasted me all of a month, I sold them a month after putting them on my van and went back to an all season tire. My dad has General Brand All Seasons on His 04 Silverado and he says they are the worst tires he has driven on since the 70s

Jaime/Matt

This is a pic of a tire I might purchase on craigslist. A firestone winterforce. There are 2 like this and 2 with more tread When I look up the winterforce tire on tire rack, they are siped. Do you know if this a different/older model that was not siped or if it is worn past siping. If so, is it still good in the snow?

Picture039.jpg

That looks worn to me, I had a set of Dayton Winterforces on the GTP the first winter I drove it and they were siped. Firestone has only been making the Winterforce for a few years (at least here in Canada)

They look quite worn to me, if I'm not mistaken. Looking at the rows of lugs 2nd in from the edges (not the center 2 that form a V, the 2 on the angle) You can see a small shelf on the side of each lug, I'm pretty sure there should be another "shelf" on top of that....

Jamie

Edited by CSI_MuNkY

I just received a brand new set of four of the Firestone Winterforce yesterday. Size 225/55/17. That picture of the tire looks to be 60% worn if I recall the tread on the brand new tire. I can snap a picture of them when I get home if you want. I plan on mounting them on the 17 inch impala rims I source from darksyde 6 weeks ago.