2010 Snow Tire Thread!!!

Night Fury

I just received a brand new set of four of the Firestone Winterforce yesterday. Size 225/55/17. That picture of the tire looks to be 60% worn if I recall the tread on the brand new tire. I can snap a picture of them when I get home if you want. I plan on mounting them on the 17 inch impala rims I source from darksyde 6 weeks ago.

How much did you pay for those? I couldn't find winter tires on 17" rims for less than $150 per, plus shipping.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• xtremerevolution

• Night Fury

• mra32

• BXX

Jaime/Matt

This is a pic of a tire I might purchase on craigslist. A firestone winterforce. There are 2 like this and 2 with more tread When I look up the winterforce tire on tire rack, they are siped. Do you know if this a different/older model that was not siped or if it is worn past siping. If so, is it still good in the snow?

Picture039.jpg

add sipes with a dremel! LOL

Holy crap, those winterforce tires are cheap! For some reason I kept looking at 235/45/17's because that's what came on the rims I bought. These winterforce tires are $95 a pop on tirerack, and with the firestone card I should be able to get them to go pretty low. Sweet!

Now to find some 17" rims, lol.

Yeah the winterforce tires are an awesome bang for the buck. Up here they are priced about middle of the market, but IMO perform with the best of them.

Adding Sipes should be done with a razor blade, if at all. A dremel will be too messy. When adding Sipes you will want to do them as evenly as possible, otherwise your just going to bugger up the tire.

IMO, I wouldn't add them, just leave well enough alone.

Jamie

Holy crap, those winterforce tires are cheap! For some reason I kept looking at 235/45/17's because that's what came on the rims I bought. These winterforce tires are $95 a pop on tirerack, and with the firestone card I should be able to get them to go pretty low. Sweet!

Now to find some 17" rims, lol.

I got them from tire rack and 95 per tire is the price I paid. There was also a promotion if you bought four you get a $25 reward card. 380 for the tires and about 45 shipping. Walmart does mounting and spin balancing for $10 a wheel. Still beats the cheapest I've found at a tire shop being 600+ plus tax. The markup on tires is retarded. I was happy with my deal for four 17 inch aluminum Impala LTZ rims that are 95% perfect for only 200, complete with the tire pressure sensors.

Firestone has a kickass deal on the Blizzak WS70's. $119 per tire plus install, which is $5 per tire less than tirerack, plus no shipping charge. All 4 installed after tax comes out to $570.83 with the firestone card, which is really not half bad and includes 6 months no interest. I've used that card to buy 3 sets of tires so far and its a good card to have.

I did also ask him about the winterforce and blizzak tire difference. The Winterforce is more of a general winter tire, while the Blizzak is a better engineered winter tire for ice traction. Both will do well in snow but the Blizzak will do better on ice. The winterforce tires are studdable, but that's illegal here in Illinois so it doesn't really matter a whole lot.

I'm sure the winterforce's would be fine for dry pavement use, but don't expect them to be the best in that regard. There are 3 types of winter tires. Snow tires (like the winter force) that will have a fairly aggressive tread pattern and will be great for going through deep snow. They will be louder and possibly a little less responsive on dry pavement, and ice traction will be somewhat limited without the use of studs (I say somewhat limited when compared to other types of winter tires. They will still be much better than all seasons). Ice tires (like the Michelin X-ice series) which have a tread pattern that is closer to an all season tire with a lot more sipes, a softer rubber compound, and possibly sand, ground up walnut shells etc...mixed in with the rubber for added ice traction. The other tire is what I simply call the Winter tire, which would be something like the Nokian Hakkapelliitta RSI, the Bridgestone Blizzak ws70 etc. This tire is basically a combination of a snow and ice tire. It has a more aggressive tread pattern than an ice tire, and has a softer tread compound with more sipes than a snow tire. Some of these can also be studded, while others can not.

There is another aspect to consider when looking at winter tires. That is the depth of the sipes along with the tread compound. Tires like the blizzak series are known to only have the top 55% or so of their tread compound considered the "Winter Tread." This means that while not legally bald, once you have 45% tread remaining, the tires are now essentially an all season tire, and their use in winter will result in decreased ice and snow traction. The Hakkapelliitta RSi's on the other hand, while slightly more expensive then other tires, have sipes that run right through the tread blocks all the way down to 2/32 and are comprised of a single tread compound. This in essence will allow you to run the tire right down to the wear bars, while still maintaining the good majority of the original ice and snow traction. This can allow several additional winters on the same set of tires before replacement is necessary.

The only downside I have with the winterforces is the marshmallow ride they have. But for the price there hard to beat. I put about 20k on them this past winter and they never let me down once.

I'm sure the winterforce's would be fine for dry pavement use, but don't expect them to be the best in that regard. There are 3 types of winter tires. Snow tires (like the winter force) that will have a fairly aggressive tread pattern and will be great for going through deep snow. They will be louder and possibly a little less responsive on dry pavement, and ice traction will be somewhat limited without the use of studs (I say somewhat limited when compared to other types of winter tires. They will still be much better than all seasons). Ice tires (like the Michelin X-ice series) which have a tread pattern that is closer to an all season tire with a lot more sipes, a softer rubber compound, and possibly sand, ground up walnut shells etc...mixed in with the rubber for added ice traction. The other tire is what I simply call the Winter tire, which would be something like the Nokian Hakkapelliitta RSI, the Bridgestone Blizzak ws70 etc. This tire is basically a combination of a snow and ice tire. It has a more aggressive tread pattern than an ice tire, and has a softer tread compound with more sipes than a snow tire. Some of these can also be studded, while others can not.

There is another aspect to consider when looking at winter tires. That is the depth of the sipes along with the tread compound. Tires like the blizzak series are known to only have the top 55% or so of their tread compound considered the "Winter Tread." This means that while not legally bald, once you have 45% tread remaining, the tires are now essentially an all season tire, and their use in winter will result in decreased ice and snow traction. The Hakkapelliitta RSi's on the other hand, while slightly more expensive then other tires, have sipes that run right through the tread blocks all the way down to 2/32 and are comprised of a single tread compound. This in essence will allow you to run the tire right down to the wear bars, while still maintaining the good majority of the original ice and snow traction. This can allow several additional winters on the same set of tires before replacement is necessary.

Very good information. I didn't know anything about those 3 types of tires you mentioned. However, I'd like to point one thing out. With the Blizzaks in particular, that tread compound after the 50% point is a stickier tread compound, not stiffer. Its not designed to make the tire last longer, but rather to compensate for the lack of tread depth by providing more grip. It will wear quicker than the first 50% of the tire, but will provide better performance during that remaining tread than a tire that was the same compound for the whole tread depth at the same tread depth.

Very good information. I didn't know anything about those 3 types of tires you mentioned. However, I'd like to point one thing out. With the Blizzaks in particular, that tread compound after the 50% point is a stickier tread compound, not stiffer. Its not designed to make the tire last longer, but rather to compensate for the lack of tread depth by providing more grip. It will wear quicker than the first 50% of the tire, but will provide better performance during that remaining tread than a tire that was the same compound for the whole tread depth at the same tread depth.

Hrmm...maybe they have changed them in the last couple years. I do remember when I had been looking at studless winter tires that a lot of tires did have different compounds, and that beyond the first 50% or so, the compound was simply an all season compound. Not saying that all winter tires are like that, but a lot of them do have 2 different sets of wear bars...one for the "winter tread", and another at the legal limit.

Better traction or not with multiple tread compounds...My nokians have been by far some of the nicest winter tires i have ever used and some of the best wearing to boot!

Just to throw it in there I put a set of 16" General Altimax's on my dad's '05 Acura TL last winter with steelies. They are AMAZING. Made it through the minnesota winter easily, and they really bite. Unless you were being stupid I couldn't even get the traction or stability to kick on.

Just to throw it in there I put a set of 16" General Altimax's on my dad's '05 Acura TL last winter with steelies. They are AMAZING. Made it through the minnesota winter easily, and they really bite. Unless you were being stupid I couldn't even get the traction or stability to kick on.

Those got great reviews on tirerack. Unfortunately ill have to go with the blizzaks since I want to use the Firestone card, plus I have $50 in vouchers from them.

Sent from my HTC Magic using Tapatalk

I have Cooper Weather-Masters on 15" lumina steelies I use for winter. I can basically go anywhere in the monte with those tires on. Best part is I only paid $65 a piece for them.

• 2 weeks later...
I got the Bridgestone Blizzak ws70's mounted. So far I'm less than impressed with their wet traction.

Whats wrong with the wet traction? You find it easier to break them free, or is it the overall mushier feeling than you're used to?

The mushier feeling will tend to improve a bit once the temperature dips below freezing. Personally speaking though...i have found my Winter tires to have better straight line traction, wet and dry than both sets of all seasons (Eagle LS that were on the car, and now a set of Good year Triple Treds)that I ran once the temperature started to drop.

I haven't even noticed the mushy yet, but I didn't drive it much. It broke loose surprisingly easy on wet roads several times though. Like you said, I'm sure it'll get better, they haven't even been broken in yet

I got the Bridgestone Blizzak ws70's mounted. So far I'm less than impressed with their wet traction.

Their wet and dry traction will be inferior to that of all seasons or even summer tires. Wait till the temperatures drop much lower and the snow starts falling, then these things will really start to shine.

I wanna see what Lumi wheels look like on a Comp G

Not TERRIBLE....Certainly not as bad as I had expected. I'll post a pic in the w/e thread soonish.

I felt the 'mush' today now that the roads were dry

I just bought michilin x ice on steel rims for the gtp, its like night and day difference. I got the tires on rims and balanced for 400 bucks im super happy. If only i had the ground clearance of a lumina I would be set.

I was actually going to post a new thread on this but I will keep this one going. Does anyone know if there are any ill effects to putting a truck snow tires on a car? Keep in mind I am not racing this thing around in the winter, just point a to point b driving.

Case in point - Tire rack has Firestone winterforce truck/suv tires in size 215/70/16 for $66 a piece which is a steal. However they are specified truck and suv tires. I currently have 225/60/16's on which actually don't fill the entire wheel well on my 1995 Monte Carlo Z34. I used a tire calculator to calculator this:

Stock 225/60/16

Side Wall 5.3 inches

Radius 13.3 inches

Diameter 26.6 inches

Circumference 87.3 inches

Compared to:

215/70/16

Side Wall 5.9 inches

Radius 13.9 inches

Diameter 27.9 inches

Circumference 87.5 inches

Which comes out to your wheels spinning 4.6% slower

This doesn't seem like a big difference in side. Will using this tires really make that much of a difference?

Dan