Looking to turbo my 96 GP 3.1...need help

drewbe12

i just got the car about 3 months ago, and i'd like to make it quick enough to beat most ricers...right now its just not cutting it...

i'd like some advice on what turbo to run and if there are any good deals on here...

let me know..

thanks

drew.

an otherwise stock L82 loves it some T04E-50 trim. 46 works as well, but not quite as optimal.

schmieder over on 60V6 did this exact process not too long ago with a 96 GP as well.

i just got the car about 3 months ago, and i'd like to make it quick enough to beat most ricers...right now its just not cutting it...

i'd like some advice on what turbo to run and if there are any good deals on here...

let me know..

thanks

drew.

I think to answer this best, we need to know a few things. What kind of horsepower are you looking for? What are your fabrication skills, and what is your budget?

A T3/T04-E 50 trim would be a good match, but pretty much everything will be custom (Crossover, down pipe, charge piping, waste gate, intercooler, etc). Be prepared to relocate your battery and various reservoirs. I like my gt3271 personally as it spools very quickly, but I will also say that it was a GIANT pain in the ass, and that's an understatement. A TGP setup would be easiest, but even that won't bolt up 100% to your 3100. Also keep in mind that your 4T60E will pretty much hate it's life with more power fed to it.

hmm....a 3271 is a decent match, but not quite as nice as the 50 trim... especially at lower boost levels.... but it's a small margin, i would go with whatever you could get your hands on cheaper.

graph.php?version=4&pr0=1&pr1=1.07&pr2=1.5&pr3=1.93&pr4=1.93&pr5=1.93&pr6=1.93&pr7=1.93&airflow0=3.1&airflow1=9.9&airflow2=16.1&airflow3=23.3&airflow4=25.4&airflow5=25.7&airflow6=27.6&airflow7=28&product_id=40

graph.php?version=4&pr0=1&pr1=1.07&pr2=1.5&pr3=1.93&pr4=1.93&pr5=1.93&pr6=1.93&pr7=1.93&airflow0=3.1&airflow1=9.9&airflow2=16.1&airflow3=23.3&airflow4=25.4&airflow5=25.7&airflow6=27.6&airflow7=28&product_id=57

well, you see the centermost "island"?

that's the area of peak efficiency.

now, the 3271 just BARELY taps it at some RPM and then goes on to lower efficiencies as the compressor has to spin faster and heat the air more to make the pressure desired.

now the 50 trim? it hits that island and stays there all the way to redline(the furthest dot to the right), so the compressed air stays cooler.

also notice the speeds listed on the right side? that's RPM of the compressor... the 3271 has to spool to 100,000+ RPM to keep up, while the 50 trim is only running a little over 84,000(i think, the numbers are a bit blurry...) to get the same results.

I think you'll find that the GT3271 will have full boost much earlier than 4000 RPM. When cruising down the highway, I have 4-5 psi in 5th by 2500 RPM (putting my foot down at 70mph or so) and I can have 10 psi by 2800-3000 rpm at the latest. That's on my 2800 hybrid, so more displacement will only help that. While it may not be in the peak island the entire time, you get a much more useful power band, in my opinion of course. The 0.78 A/R isn't bad for top end either.