Rusted Control Arm Mounts!

wreckless123

Just noticed that my 95 Lumina has one side totally rusted off and the other side is about to come off! Its the mounts where the rear control arm mounts to the body! Is there a fix for this? Help Please! Thanks

evaluate carefully... can you buy a donor car that needs engine/trans work for less than the cost of a repair? rusted out mounts means you should have alot of other rust issues... and no matter how well the car runs, if rusted out it is junk.

You might try getting a couple estimates at various body shops. Rust repair is usually not cheap and very likely to return.

Welding on some 2nd gen mounts might be the way to go, but after that, I'd sell the car ASAP.

if i were you, i might go to the jy and get one of these new fangled 2nd gen mounts by cutting around the body a good bit with a sawzall and getting a welder and going to town. If its as bad as you say it is...theres probably not much to lose. Mig welding is one of the easiest things ive done to create something. Read up about prepping welds and disconnect the battery and computer before you start and you might come out with a decent fix. if not, you could buy a donor car with a busted drivetrian as suggested, this attempt at fixing would not have cost you much anyway.

it can be done, and would be less work than fixing the OEM mounts....

Has anyone actually done this, I've brainstormed and talked about doing it, but I'm unaware of anyone successfully doing this.

• 3 months later...

This just happened to my car when I went to bolt my x-laces on yesterday...the PS trailing arm's integrity has been compromised. I am taking it to a weld shop asap to have them determine if it should be scrapped, though I feel it's a goner. Reading this thread helps immensely, because it's hard to let the car go after 9 months of fixing it up (with considerable help from Nunzi), but my sentiment toward the vehicle shall not to turn stubbornness. Facts are facts. Failed trailing arm mounts = GAME OVER. Got it:thumbsup:

post-4033-143689059831_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

FWIW: the other trailing arm mount managed to rust off of the MC... and it's now reattached... i don't know how different it is now compared to what it used to be yet though... when the passenger side was repaired though, it felt at least as good as it did.