3-Way Components for Cutlass Vert

Bostons94Vert

I bought a set of the JL audio Xr CS653 components for my 94 Cutlass convertible and i was just looking gor some insight on how to get the best sound out of them. Im using the Hifonics hfi55.4 to power them. I have the 6.5s and the 4s in the factory locations (side panels N dash) and the tweets on the a-pillars but the mid bass isnt near what it should be...does anyone have experience with components in a convertible that can give some pointers. I appreciate any help

Getting good sound in a convertible can be tough. You can try sound deadning the doors. Put some dynamat or similar product on the inner door skin. You can cover the whole thing, or just cover up all the holes in the metal. That should help a bit with bass response.

You want to completely seal the backside of the mids so the back waves don't mix with the front waves. I used some cheap deadener I had laying around to seal up the holes around the speaker mount (I have that plastic thing the speaker attaches to, which bolts to the door; not sure how it is on CS's) You should notice a change in the amount of midbass then.

Failing that, check your crossovers at the amp and the head unit. Maybe your HPF is set too high.