New key programming - 05 Grand Prix

jeremy

anyone have the proper key programming procedures for a 04-08 Grand Prix. I followed the two different sets of instructions that I found online and neither have worked.

the first one was insert working key, turn to on, then turn off...insert new key, turn to on....key should have been programmed

the second method said to try to start car with key, then let sit for up 15mins so the security message would go away repeats two more times...I tried this route and the security error never went away.

any one ever tried either or both methods with success? is it possible I have a bad key? I just had it cut and the keyless works fine but I can't get the key to program :evil: Shitty pics, but here is what I have, but without the key working it is nothing more than an expensive paperweight.

c58ebd8b.jpg

d88d4b99.jpg

Darn, if you'd asked a couple of weeks ago I could get an answer from some GM techs. Perhaps call your local dealership and see if they have some tips? Sorry I can't be of more help.

try this one...

that's the one I tried....and I get the "starting is disable becasue of security" message on my Info Center.....I am starting to believe that the key is garbage....

my guess is it is bad. That key is pretty cool, Our 98 Vw had a key Alot like that. press the button and it Flips out all cool, Like a switch blade LOL. But i remember the dealer charging us like 200 For that key. lol.

We code up bypass modules for remote starts all the time with the method you are trying. Just turn the key on for a second, the stick the other key in and turn it on. You have to do it pretty quick and it may take a few trys. Ive never done it with a key like that though. Only the regular PK3+ keys. Cant see why it would be differant though.

it's pk3 system, no chip. If the new key is cut slightly different then the vats value stored in the bcm wil be different than what the new key is sending. However the new key should program but it needs to be lose to the original value. A scan tool would be helpful in seeing if the new key is close to the old one.

Is that the right key? I have never seen a GM key like that, let one a PK3 key.

it appears to be the right key, it actually fits and turns properly, just the security issue :shrug:

it appears to be the right key, it actually fits and turns properly, just the security issue :shrug:

For example. 04 Saturn Ion I had in a month ago with a froze ignition lock cylinder.

Got itt apart and replaced it with a new lock cylinder (that has the VATS sensor in it) and a new key cut to code.

Put it all in, new key wont start the car, but the old key would. Old key was a little more worn in 2 spots. Scantool reading the VATS voltage, old key 2.1v, new key 1.7. BCM has stored for around 2.1v, new key was too far out. So I had to reprogram the entire system around the new key.

For example. 04 Saturn Ion I had in a month ago with a froze ignition lock cylinder.

Got itt apart and replaced it with a new lock cylinder (that has the VATS sensor in it) and a new key cut to code.

Put it all in, new key wont start the car, but the old key would. Old key was a little more worn in 2 spots. Scantool reading the VATS voltage, old key 2.1v, new key 1.7. BCM has stored for around 2.1v, new key was too far out. So I had to reprogram the entire system around the new key.

That's a Passlock PITA system. This is Passkey 3 which uses a transponder in the head of the key.

Jeremy, is "PK3" engraved on the blade of the key near the head? All Passkey 3 keys should like this:

key_b97.jpg

Edited by jman093

All Passkey 3 keys should like this:

key_b97.jpg

It is a pk3. I am not sure why you keep thinking it is not one. :shrug: And fwiw not all pk3 keys look like the one in your pic, hell my factory key doesn't even look like that.

It is a pk3. I am not sure why you keep thinking it is not one. :shrug: And fwiw not all pk3 keys look like the one in your pic, hell my factory key doesn't even look like that.

Chill dude, I'm trying to help you. I realize that's not your key. I was showing the "PK3" that your key has to have because turning a programmed key to on position followed by an unprogrammed key like you did is the proper way to program a key on your car. If it doesn't work, but you can start the car with your other key, then your new key is either not passkey 3 or its dud key with a bad pk3 transponder.

Edited by jman093