Front End Shimmy and Shake

bronze93

I'm getting a shimmy from the passenger side. It is quite intense at times but goes away at 70 mph. I have replaced the outer tie rods and had an alignment. Also, I jacked up the car and tried moving the wheel. It moves side to side but not top and bottom. From reading and searching all the forum posts I could, I still have no real idea. From what I've read it could be anything from an axle shaft to ball joint to tie rod end. Is there a way to narrow this down? I've had the car on the road for a whole week now and gonna have to park it until I figure this out. I really appreciate any help cause I want it back on the road.

Thanks in advance

Were both front wheels off the ground when you pulled on the wheel? If so, then there will be some play as the rack moves a bit when you tug. You'd also see the steering wheel move a little if you watch it during that test. If only the one wheel was off the ground at the time, it could be control arm bushings. Have you had the wheels balanced to be sure that isn't the issue?

Both wheels were not in the air at the same time. I did one side at a time. Drivers side had no play in either direction. I have not had the wheels balanced. They were fine in the beginning of the week and I haven't seen where any of the weights have fallen off. The shake or shudder or whatever is getting worse every day. I would just wait til something gives but don't want to screw up the car or get stranded. Also, when I had the wheel off, I thought I would grease the ball joints but they are the originals with no grease fittings and rivets. I did notice that the passenger side ball joint does have a torn boot.

Edited by bronze93
added more info

If the wheel is moving then you should be able to feel where the play is coming from... Feel the inner tie rod and lower ball joint while someone else moves the wheel from side to side

I just read your post a little more closely, and realized that you replaced the outer rod ends, not both inner and outer as had thought. My understanding is that it is rare that inner ends go bad, but it is possible, and 3 - 9 o'clock movement usually points to tie rods.

You could try this though: jack up the car and remove the right front wheel, then snug the lug nuts back on to hold the rotor in place. With the rotor secured but the wheel off, you should still have enough leverage to move the hub, but more room to see what is moving.

I'll give that a try tomorrow. I don't have much time this weekend as I have to head to PA tomorrow at 3 for the weekend. And I have a junkyard run for tomorrow morning.

With my experience, I am not able to wiggle the rotor enough to feel the play, I need the wheel to be on to be able to do it... I always just have another person shake the wheel and I feel around

With my experience, I am not able to wiggle the rotor enough to feel the play, I need the wheel to be on to be able to do it... I always just have another person shake the wheel and I feel around

Hmm... If stuck by yourself though, I'll bet bolting on the donut spare would do the trick and still give more room. Just thinking out loud...

Well, after my trip to the yard yesterday my luck went down hill from there. I didn't find the DIC for a 96 that was there but I did find the sunroof parts I needed. Then on the way home damn truck got a flat so I didn't have a chance to work on the car. I will test it on monday when I get home. I like the donut idea. I think that will work. Thanks guys

Alright I did my check tonight. I didn't really find out what is causing the movement right to left cause I screwed up and took both front tires off. I have my friend at work balancing them tomorrw. I don't think they are going to balance though. The pass. tire doesn't look bad but the drivers tire might have problems. When I was rolling it around I noticed a spot in the tread that looks like it is buldged. Maybe a broken belt? I'm hoping I'm right and that is what is causing the shimmy. By the way, you can't put the donut on backwards without removing the caliper. While I was doing all this I found a bad lug stud that is going to need replacement. Have any of you used the replacement stud with out hub removal? They are about a quarter inch shorter than a normal stud. Will this bother anything? Thanks

Okay we balanced everything out. The driverside had a road force of fifty seven so we found a junk tire at the shop and installed that for the time being. Test drove the car after that and everything seems well so time for new tires. When I was looking at the drivers rim I also noticed where the rim had been rubbed by the caliper grooving it. So it's time to round up some rims.