anyone ever actually tried to make a short shifter?

stockgp

i've been considering it since i got my ste from jeremy.

i'm not just talking the ghetto version of just cutting the shifter down to nothing, i mean actually reducing the distance the shifter has to move to shift.

1st: i want to lengthen the shift rod between the fulcrum and the cable. i can get a good 3/8" here and not have any clearance issues. all i'd need to do is add a piece of 1/8" steel to it

2010-07-15020613_Weirton_WestVirgin.jpg

2nd: this part is a little iffy. i can also get about 3/8" here, but i'd have to find a way to have the wall of the console out pushed out permanently.

2010-07-15021523_Weirton_WestVirgin.jpg

now i am considering trimming the shift lever down, but just because of how ridiculously tall it is.

i actually thought about putting the shift lever from this fiero lever in place of the tube on the stock lever. that way it'll be back farther so my short ass can reach it better, and it'll be shorter

2010-07-15020625_Weirton_WestVirgin.jpg

so, has anyone done this successfully? am i spitting in the wind with onloy an extra 3/8" on the shifter?

i mean, i'm guessing the total throw from in gear to out of gear can't be more than maybe an inch and a half. so this ought to trim the distance the shifter has to travel pretty significantly, right?

Edited by stockgp
omission