Crossover to Manifold Bolt help needed!!

Penglii

I am replacing my stock Crossover... all I have left to remove are the crossover to manifold bolts.

However I cannot get any of them off, turns out they were already rounded off by one of the previous owners!! :willynilly:

But I see that the bolts terminate in a torx fitting... what size are they?

Also I cannot seem to get any combination of ratchet, extentions and swivels to reach the lower rear x-over/manifold bolt... the corner of the stock heat shield is in the way of everything.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Use 6 point sockets only... And try hammering on a 1/2" socket.. its just a touch smaller than a 13mm and might do the trick adn break them loose but you must hammer it on or else it will slip and round off..

All I have are 6pt sockets, so no issue there. :)

I finally just got 3 of the 4 nuts off patience is truly the key.... but the stock heat shield is still in the way of any attempt to reach the lower rear one.

Mercifully the lower rear nut, upon closer inspection, does not look rounded off.... so I lucked out there.

I'm gonna see if I can carefully take a hacksaw to the part of the heat sheild that is in the way... see if I can cut off the offending corner.

replace the old nuts with some new stainless steel ones.. :thumbsup:

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

So I finally got the last x-over to manifold bolt out... and hokey-pokey'd the x-over out. HUZZAH!!!

Cutting off part of the heat shield with a hacksaw did the trick... finally gave me enough room to get the socket on AND turn it.

Although I hope *NEVER AGAIN* to have to take a hacksaw to something still in the engine bay... not fun!

Now for the reverse job... at least it should be easier going back in... knock on wood. :laugh:

Success!!

I got everything put back together, and she even starts still :)

During the idle re-learn I got really worried for a moment when I saw a bunch of white smoke coming out of the engine bay... but upon further inspection it seems to just be anti-seize burning off. What a nasty smell.

Damn, the engine works exactly as it is supposed to now... but I somehow broke the throttle to throttle-pedal linkage in the process.

Of course I did not think to check the gas pedal before attempting to drive the car... I backed it out of the driveway, down a slight hill, put it into drive, and found out the gas pedal is sitting useless on the floor.

I could not be sitting with the ass end of my car sitting the the middle of the alley... so I had to find some people to help push.

Of course, just my luck these people will gladly help me push my car back into vaguely it's spot... but required that I party with them in exchange.

So now I am drunk... and wondering what I did to break the tension line to the gas pedal... but I am too drunk to read the service manual, and almost way too drunk to type this...

Also...the hazard lights on the 1st gen GP coupes are the best I have ever seen.

Edited by Penglii
randomly drunk

Once I sobered up and trusted myself to touch a car again, the throttle cable was an easy fix. Just had come unhooked from the lever on the TB. 10 seconds to fix it. :P

Replacing the crossover totally did the trick... went from 17mpg to 27mpg and the engine runs almost like new. :)

Hell yeah... also, roughly 800 miles on the clock since the engine was rebuilt... so I figure I pretty much got the x-over done just in time for the engine to properly round out it's post-rebuild break-in period :dance: