'96 DOHC Lumina Tuning?

chadz34

Hey guys, I've noticed thee's alot of PCM and tuning threads kicking around lately. Just wondering if there's anything I can do to tune my 96 LQ1 Lumina? Like, you know before it dies. Since owning the car I don't think I've ever gotten the full 215hp, although it has mods.

It's got MSD Igniton, Magnecor Wires 8.5mm, glasspack exhaust (basically straight thru) WAI. The car has in it's day been SeaFoamed (waste of fucking money) and ZMAXED (temporary results).

It's got me wondering if maybe it needs a tune, after wrapping the tachometer a few times it smells like burnt matches.....Tune neccessary? Clogged cat? Pitch me some advice please.

Id vote that the cat is fried or clogged. I'd also say to just cut it out, but it's a '96, and the downstream O2 would set a code...

...speaking of codes, do you have an SES light?

yeah, that cat sounds fucked... cut it off and clamp a testpipe in place and see what happens. so what if the downstream O2 sets a code, it won't do anything other than trigger the SES light.

when you confirm it was the issue, then deal with emissions crap.

No, there is no SES code. The power ''I'' honestly believe is held back by this.....It FADES in and out the harder you push the car. ANd after a hard run the car smells like SULFUR.

yeah, that cat sounds fucked... cut it off and clamp a testpipe in place and see what happens. so what if the downstream O2 sets a code, it won't do anything other than trigger the SES light.

when you confirm it was the issue, then deal with emissions crap.

So when fitting the test pipe the computer won't cut my power becuase of an incorrect cat? Like, once it knows it's the wrong pressure will it not cut my power?

wrong pressure? the PCM doesn't track backpressure...

the only thing that will happen(and even then, it's not guaranteed) is the PCM sets a code for catalyst efficiency due to the 2nd O2 not creating a smoother voltage swing.

I have no downsteam O2 on my OBD2 conversion and I haz no code:thumbsup:

Just put a quality cat on it.. I like Catco.. The only HP loss you MIGHT see with a cat vs straight pipe is 1-2hp.. Do your part to keep from mass pollution and put a cat on it. Plus people driving behind you wont have to smell the nasty ass exhaust.

Damn shame that 97 LQ1 luminas had to have the 4T65e trans.. otherewise you could easily plug and play a 97 LQ1 PCM and tune with HP Tuners.