Found a source for Windshield Rubber Glass Seal

cliffcostello

All, I have a 95 Cutlass Convertible .... I've just found a source for the Windshield Glass Rubber seal that shrinks and dries up .. this is the rubber molding that goes between the A Pillar black metal frame, and the actual windshield glass. I've been looking for 4 years and stumbled across this website. I emailed them, sent pictures, and they sent me replacement seals that fit. I just installed them this past week and they fit and look good.

Check out: http://www.thecliphouse.com/

You can also email Amanda at autorubber@aol.com. Just tell her I referred you .... and that you are looking for the same part I was .... she is now familiar with this.

Hopefully we'll start seeing more aftermarket seals and parts for the upper part of these cars. Mine is still a beauty and head turner ... and I plan to keep indefinitely!!!

Hope this helps .....:dance:

I wasn't able to find it. Do you know what the part # is?

I wasn't able to find it directly on the web site .. but I sent an email .. explaining what I was looking for. Amanda responded and after I sent her some pictures of exactly what I was talking about, she wrote back and said her supplier (Precision) had the molding. The part number from what was shipped to me was: WFS D1005 A

I paid $32 with shipping for it. Not bad considering I've been looking for 4 years for this part ... and paid over $200 for the rear quarter window rubber seals (NOS). I'd been hunting for those for 4 years as well and stumbled on them on eBay.

Hope this helps.

Edited by cliffcostello
Additional info.

post-2464-143689046054_thumb.jpg3]Could you post a pic of your windshield with the new weatherstripping?

Here are a couple of pics of old post-2464-143689046036_thumb.jpgmolding and new molding. I wasn't the best at cutting the 45 degree angle on the corner ... may reorder and redo.

post-2464-143689046017_thumb.jpg

post-2464-14368904606_thumb.jpg

Looks good to me. I am going to order up a set or two.

I did a search on the part# and it's the same for the Buick Century 88-96. Time to hit the yards to experiment before ordering new ones. Thanks for the info cliffcostello.

I can help a bit in that regard...I just recently found a '92 Olds convertible that still had two pieces of decent windshield moulding. I've not put them on my '95, because I was looking for the piece for the top of the windshield.

I've got a '93 Buick Century station wagon IN MY DRIVEWAY. Shouldn't be a big deal to compare the trim on my Buick to the pieces I got from the junkyard...

My experiences from getting them from junkyards is that they still separate in the corners. I've found a decent one before and when I tried to put it back on it was rather difficult.

I am not going to mess around with 15 year old parts. If I can get something new it should last another 15 years.

My experiences from getting them from junkyards is that they still separate in the corners. I've found a decent one before and when I tried to put it back on it was rather difficult.

I am not going to mess around with 15 year old parts. If I can get something new it should last another 15 years.

I agree ... the older rubber seals have dried out and hardened and shrunk. I didn't think $32 (included shipping) was a bad price, to get this seal all new and fresh looking. Its soft and pliable. Only thing you have to do is to cut the 45 degree corners ... and I personally didn't do as good a job as I should have .. may redo mine again. But in the end ... this looks 100 X better than the original .. which was pretty shabby looking. Took me about 30 min to take old off, clean windshield, and then put new seal in place. Takes some work to push it into place ... I've got to fix a few areas that I didn't get as tight as I wanted. But it does look much better!!

I compared the Century weatherstrip to the 'vert piece I rescued from the junkyard...it's about 1/3 wider on the Buick than the factory piece. It would possibly work, but it's noticeably wider.

Galaxie500XL: Yes, the new one I got was slightly wider than the factory ... but since I haven't found anything close to-date, this new one looks great ... certainly better than the faded, dried, and shrunk one that was there. The new one was very pliable, had a glue coating, and pressed into the windshield frame nicely. There were a few spots I had to work a little. Hopefully your Buick Century one works too.

hello i order it and received how do i get the roundness ? does it have to be trimmed ?

Not sure what you mean about "roundness? If you're talking about the corners of the windshield, you will have to cut the molding (45 degrees) with an exacto knife or a any sharp knife, or scissors. Knife works the best.

If you're referring to the "roundness" of the molding from a cross section perspective, I found that I had to work the molding into place, after cleaning out the old trim and glue left behind. I used a razor to scrape the glass clean. Then I had to work the molding lip over the windshield frame ... and press it down and in. Ultimately, it pressed into place. I had a few areas which didn't go into place very easily ... and had to work it harder ... after letting it sit in sunlight, to soften the rubber up more.

I hope this helps.

do u have pics of y'all installs

The only pics I have are the ones I posted in the thread .. 1st 3 pics are of the new molding, 4th pic is of the original.

• 3 weeks later...

I received this weatherstripping the other day... but the profile seems different than what is on my car. What are you guys seeing... does this stuff match yours?

...that it was a little wider, but it fits fine. I will order it soon myself.

I received this weatherstripping the other day... but the profile seems different than what is on my car. What are you guys seeing... does this stuff match yours?

• 3 months later...

Hey there,

I have been doing the same thing as you have done about the windshield weatherstripping. I bought the same stuff you got and from the same place, and am getting ready to install it. However, it does NOT sit flush on the windshield. Did you use an adhesive to glue down the part of the weatherstripping that extends over the windshield? If not how did you seal it to the windshield?

Also, that weatherstripping that which runs on the outside of the rear side windows that seal them from the outside, connect to the body and seals the glass and the body and keeps the water out. Have you seen any replacement weatherstripping for that area?

Many thanks.

I didn't have any problems getting mine to sit flush on the windshield. Just make sure it is in far enough under the black trim piece and will sit flush. Use a screw driver and push it under that trim piece.

As for the rear window strips there are no replacements that are being made. A NOS one will cost you around 150-250+ dollars.

• 3 weeks later...
Not sure what you mean about "roundness? If you're talking about the corners of the windshield, you will have to cut the molding (45 degrees) with an exacto knife or a any sharp knife, or scissors. Knife works the best.

If you're referring to the "roundness" of the molding from a cross section perspective, I found that I had to work the molding into place, after cleaning out the old trim and glue left behind. I used a razor to scrape the glass clean. Then I had to work the molding lip over the windshield frame ... and press it down and in. Ultimately, it pressed into place. I had a few areas which didn't go into place very easily ... and had to work it harder ... after letting it sit in sunlight, to soften the rubber up more.

I hope this helps.

Did you remove the metal a pillar covers in order to access removal and installation?

I thought I read that they had to be removed because of an adhesive or butyl used to attach and seal them from underneath the trim pieces.

• 3 months later...
All, I have a 95 Cutlass Convertible .... I've just found a source for the Windshield Glass Rubber seal that shrinks and dries up .. this is the rubber molding that goes between the A Pillar black metal frame, and the actual windshield glass. I've been looking for 4 years and stumbled across this website. I emailed them, sent pictures, and they sent me replacement seals that fit. I just installed them this past week and they fit and look good.

Check out: http://www.thecliphouse.com/

You can also email Amanda at autorubber@aol.com. Just tell her I referred you .... and that you are looking for the same part I was .... she is now familiar with this.

Hopefully we'll start seeing more aftermarket seals and parts for the upper part of these cars. Mine is still a beauty and head turner ... and I plan to keep indefinitely!!!

Hope this helps .....:dance:

I tried emailing her about the seals, but it was "returned to sender"

Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

autorubber@aol.com

Technical details of permanent failure:

Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the recipient domain. We recommend contacting the other email provider for further information about the cause of this error. The error that the other server returned was: 554 554 5.2.1 : (HVU:B2) http://postmaster.info.aol.com/errors/421hvub2.html (state 18).

I'll have to try looking through the site later and see if I can get them.