Sealing GP taillights

KingVee

I have briefly talked about this in the WHATEVER thread, but figured I should post about this in the most appropriate section of the forum.

Today, I went on to remove those taillights o-so famously known to delaminate and let water/moisture in. After being short of getting smashed in the ass and monitoring a growing whiteout that almost rendered the right tail useless at daytime, I decided that I would attempt my luck at fixing them. I have a lot of time on my hands and so I am in absolutely no rush to get them done - and done right.

They were blow-dried with a fan from about 1pm to 6pm today, and I'm now letting them sit all night inside until tomorrow. Ultimately, I will have to reinstall them for a short moment so that I can run to the store and get me some sort of adhesive/sealant/glue to do the job. I'm just hoping it won't rain all day so I don't have to go through the whole drying process once again.

Captain obvious says that even once sealed, all those areas of delamination will still be visible and with this will come the eventual step two in improving the appearance of my FUBAR'd taillights, tinting. I might not go through this step too early because I'm a little short on cash and I want to take time and make sure that they are indeed sealed before doing this.

As for an adhesive, I am currently favoring epoxy although my mind is not set. My goal here will be to meticulously fill the line between the lense and the housing without spilling much outside of that to keep the exterior appearance (or shape to say the least) as original as possible - and I can therefore call this my main reason why I am definitely not favoring a silicone. That's where I might need some of your suggestions. :thumbsup:

Now for some shots I took after taking them off (they are still wet).

avpt1e.jpg

rw5naa.jpg

2gx341h.jpg

2zewg0o.jpg

so where exactly is the moisture getting in? between the lens and the housing?

On top, yeah.

Wherever you see the plastic appearing clearer/lighter is where there is space between the lens and housing.

i didn't like the small amount of moisture that had accumulated over the years in the MC brake lights, so i actually just gave it a thin, even layer of bondo around that sealing surface. smoothed it and gave it a quick shot of flat black in places that needed it and now you would never know unless you open the trunk and look at the sides of the lights...

but a good epoxy would probably last longer and potentially be easier to work with in smaller quantities.

Ha. Good luck. You'd really be better off just buying new ones or stealing them off of another car. Seriously, that delamination will always look like shit and I don't think that any amount of resealing on those guys will fix the issue.

Ha. Good luck. You'd really be better off just buying new ones or stealing them off of another car. Seriously, that delamination will always look like shit and I don't think that any amount of resealing on those guys will fix the issue.

runt, I always appreciate your sense of optimism, but did you read? lol

First hand, I want to reseal them to fix the problem of water infiltration, not to get rid of the delamination because indeed it will never go away. On the other hand, to hide the delamination, I believe tinting them will do the trick.

You can't get rid of delamination, for sure, but I want to try my luck at preventing water from getting into them again. THEN, we'll work on tinting them and make them look like nothing happened. :dance:

I have a strong feeling you'll still see it even with tinting.

Believe me, both of my tails went ape shit around 85k and 8 years, so it happens. They are such a pain to take apart (actually, I don't think they come apart at all) that I just got new ones. Then again, I don't live in Canandananana

I have a strong feeling you'll still see it even with tinting.

Believe me, both of my tails went ape shit around 85k and 8 years, so it happens. They are such a pain to take apart (actually, I don't think they come apart at all) that I just got new ones. Then again, I don't live in Canandananana

I strongly believe ONE of the reasons people tint them is to hide the delamination, not just for looks.

The way I see it is this; the area that delaminates (on top) is an area that's black. Therefore, nothing more than a thicker layer of VHT on this specific area could do the trick there to hide it properly. It's not even a spot where it lights up, so it wouldn't necessarily be visible. At least, to me...

And runt, I would just get brand new ones and get it over with, but I don't have 300+ dollars to buy the aftermarket ones on RockAuto. (I'm guessing it's like 500$ locally at a GM dealer).

VHT looks like crap.

Pay an auto body shop to have them done professionally.

This looks like crap?!

33103150191_large.jpg

33103150192_large.jpg

33103150193_large.jpg

33103150194_large.jpg

And I will also abstain from answering your other comment...

Don't you have junkyards? eBay?

JYs carrying good taillights?! Tell me where the fuck you live...

Yeah, our taillights are like our headlights...trying to reseal them to prevent leaking, etc is usually a waste. But, have at it!

This looks like crap?!

33103150191_large.jpg

33103150192_large.jpg

33103150193_large.jpg

33103150194_large.jpg

And I will also abstain from answering your other comment...

JYs carrying good taillights?! Tell me where the fuck you live...

How long have those been tinted? Also, what did you use to smooth them out? VHT right from the can has a semi-gloss look to it.

I think those are just an example Andrei.

That sure doesn't look like VHT.

This looks like VHT:

evo-to-g-albums-black-diamond-picture1008-still-didnt-buff-out-the-tails-yet-in-this-pic-sprayed-with-vht-nite-shades.jpg

33512710006_large.jpg

944870503.jpg

Maybe I'm dumb or I don't know something, but ever car I've seen in person that has been done with VHT looks semi gloss, aka crap for lesnes. Even on the Regal, I sprayed the VHT first, then wetsanded it, then sprayed on 3 layers of clear coat, and it still didn't have a mirror shine. That, and VHT fades over time. My lenses are maybe half as dark as they were when I first put them on, and I have pictures to prove it.

If you want it done right, 50/50 black and clear with a paint gun, followed by a good buffing.

Start saving your pennies d00d. I think it's about time for some new ones...

I'll see how much they have here in Quebec at a GM dealer.

For some reason, I'm not sure if I should trust RockAuto replacements like SHERMAN, unless someone tells me otherwise. Would be a cheaper option though.